London and Home Counties Cycle Chat Rides 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
Any one want to take on the July or August rides?

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Should I move my ride?

Well folks, the next official CC ride is the 2nd May Manningtree to Tiptree one by moi.

The problem is, as hinted at before, our local train company has decided that no-one who lives further out of London than Billericay could possibly wish to travel by train any weekend this year. They are doing engineering works almost constantly for the next month or so.

What this means is that, despite the swap with Peter for April at which point May seemed engineering-works-free, there is now a problem with the ride for May.

Trains are running between Ingatestone and Manningtree but not from Liverpool Street to Ingatestone which has replacement buses (which don't allow bikes). This is a journey of 22 miles.

The only options appear to be:

(a) Cycle from London to Ingatestone and then get a train
(:biggrin: Cycle from London to Manningtree and expire in a heap when you get there
(c) Come by car and warm the globe
(d) Move house to live in North East Essex.

The fourth option is, of course, the sensible one all round, but probably not practicable in a four week timeframe.

So what do folks think we should do? Postpone the ride to the summer when there just might be some trains? Do it anyway with a reduced number of people (I know some can probably still make it by car or because they live north of here)? As there are still a couple of free dates the postponement might be a good option. Or are you all such desperate mile munchers that you'll happily cycle to Ingatestone for the train?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Gosh - never knew about this thread. No idea what Joe24 has been on about all this time when he's been muttering about a clique!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Seriously though, looks like you lot are doing a great job of organising rides and getting lots out for the routes. I'd love to join in, but Manchester is a bit far to come from if I intend to stay married. ;):laugh:

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
Organise a ride up your way and I will try and make it. I could combine it with a visit to see my boy who lives in Manc.

Yes Sharky - the Southern posse will travel anywhere for a lunchtime fry up! (Damn it - calculates distance by bike and decides that it will mean getting up yesterday in order to arrive for tomorrow...;)) Do we need passports up there? I have an old Coronation Street annual - I'll look up some common phrases for us softies to learn...:biggrin:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Aperitif said:
I'll look up some common phrases for us softies to learn...:biggrin:

As a starter these may help:- "aye up lad" and "trouble at mill" and they also like talking about whippets. ;)

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
As a starter these may help:- "aye up lad" and "trouble at mill" and they also like talking about whippets. ;)
Don't forget to bring a flat cap too, the locals will then just carry on talking when you enter the pub, rather than everything stopping while they all stare at you. :biggrin:

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
WLC1 is now back to riding his bike and hopes to be at AH's ride on the 2nd.

WLC1's ride has now been brought forward to August from October which now only leaves us to find leaders for 2 rides Oct and Nov to complete the first year of London and Home Counties Cycle Chat Rides.

Aperitif / Daveywalnuts Fancy arranging something round your manor?

Steve Wheeler

Top Bottom