london marathon 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone know anyone doing this?

My little brother is doing it today and I am mighty impressed. He's been training for ages, dropped loads and loads of weight, but the idiot cracked a rib skiing a couple of weeks ago, so it's even more impressive that he's doing it!

There are split times available on this website if anyone is wanting to know how their mate/family member is getting on

www.london-marathon.co.uk

...my bro has just gone through 25k at 2 hrs 27! I am just full of admiration for anyone who can run for that amount of time...

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Good, that means he's not going to beat my best time.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Went down the road to have a look at the front runners coming through, I only saw the front women and the guys in there wheel chairs.

If I look out of my office window across the river i can see hundreds of them like Ants running along on the Isle of Dogs.

It looks a bit hot with the sun but hopefully the cool breeze will help!

Good luck to your Bro!!!!

Sod that!!!!!:angry:

Melvil

I'm always impressed with anyone who shows commitment, dedication and a keen willingness to put up with pain, suffering and exhaustion. But that's enough about marriage. Big respect to the marathon runners!

What time did your bro do in the end, Kirsty?

Greedo

I suffer from really bad shin splints.

I've decided though that I'm going to go and get them seen to and try a half marathon. Need a challenge at the moment.

Never done any running befoare and I mean none. Used to even just muck about at cross country at school. never taken it seriously at all.

montage

God Almighty
Greedo said:
I suffer from really bad shin splints.

I've decided though that I'm going to go and get them seen to and try a half marathon. Need a challenge at the moment.

Never done any running befoare and I mean none. Used to even just muck about at cross country at school. never taken it seriously at all.

I detest shin splints - I had compartment syndrome last year, and it never fully goes away :angry:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Lass I knew from university came second! I was reading an article about Mara Yamauchi last year and it mentioned who her dad was (and her maiden name) and suddenly I realised who she was...

Melvil said:
I'm always impressed with anyone who shows commitment, dedication and a keen willingness to put up with pain, suffering and exhaustion. But that's enough about marriage. Big respect to the marathon runners!

What time did your bro do in the end, Kirsty?

A truer word was never spoken...:angry:
But yes, he did 4 hrs 20! I think that's amazing!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I did it a few years ago and it's probably the thing I'm proudest of, due to the amount of work and obsession it took! Nice work, Kirstie's brother...he beat me by 12 mins, damn him :angry: I bet he's buzzing now!

Cathryn said:
I did it a few years ago and it's probably the thing I'm proudest of, due to the amount of work and obsession it took! Nice work, Kirstie's brother...he beat me by 12 mins, damn him :biggrin: I bet he's buzzing now!

I've tried calling him but his phone is switched off. I would think he's on the celebratory beers now!

PaulB

Legendary Member
I came the closest I've ever come to death in the 1991 London marathon. I seriously thought I was going to die and this feeling persisted for about 20 minutes. I had the most vivid sensation of being dead and started to compare what was preferable. I decided that all the things I most hate; waiting, sitting round doing nothing, being insignificant, were all preferable to being in this state. I decided I was going to stop, get in the back of an ambulance and go back to my wife and child waiting for me on Westminster Bridge (it used to finish there in those days), and just be happy to be with them. The crowd REFUSED to let me get in though and were magnificent. Despite being complete strangers, they urged me on and lifted my spirits enormously.
I had a bit of a rest, a drink and carried on to their cheering and clapping! It felt great actually. I also got under 2.30 which I thought wasn't possible once I'd "given up" but that crowd! If I'd have had a hat, I'd have taken it off to them.

PaulB said:
I came the closest I've ever come to death in the 1991 London marathon. I seriously thought I was going to die and this feeling persisted for about 20 minutes. I had the most vivid sensation of being dead and started to compare what was preferable. I decided that all the things I most hate; waiting, sitting round doing nothing, being insignificant, were all preferable to being in this state. I decided I was going to stop, get in the back of an ambulance and go back to my wife and child waiting for me on Westminster Bridge (it used to finish there in those days), and just be happy to be with them. The crowd REFUSED to let me get in though and were magnificent. Despite being complete strangers, they urged me on and lifted my spirits enormously.
I had a bit of a rest, a drink and carried on to their cheering and clapping! It felt great actually. I also got under 2.30 which I thought wasn't possible once I'd "given up" but that crowd! If I'd have had a hat, I'd have taken it off to them.

Flippin' eck...it is amazing what the human body will do...

Top Bottom