london marathon 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I did it a few times, the last time in 2001. The crowds are great and very supportive - I'd recommend everyone doing it once.

louise

My friend who has moderately severe asthma did finished with a time of 5 hrs 12 mins she has so far raised over 2k

PaulB

Legendary Member
And the other thing about running it for charity is that if you think the 26.2 miles were hard, wait until you try and get the money in!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
PaulB said:
And the other thing about running it for charity is that if you think the 26.2 miles were hard, wait until you try and get the money in!
Too bloody right!

I rode the Manchester 100 a few times and decided that I'd try and raise money for worthy causes. I did it 3 times sponsored but gave up after that. I'd raise (say) £150 each time and then have to spend about £200 worth of my time chasing up people afterwards. I don't mind if people say they can't afford to sponsor me, but if they cheerfully agree to do it then they should cheerfully cough up when the time comes!

PS Oh, and congratulations to Kirstie's brother!

Arch

Married to Night Train
I did over 26 miles on Sunday - on my bike! Am completely in awe of someone who could run to Selby and back...

Although I've always wondered (like once a year, when it's on the telly), if I could do it, if I tried and trained and so on. Well done to anyone who does it - and then when you see some of the costumes etc that people encumber themselves with!

There was a chap they talked to on Sunday, who's done every single London Marathon - at the first one, he'd only just met his wife to be, and this year he was running it with his grown up daughter!

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I reckon nearly anyone who does not have something medically wrong with them, or some serious bio-mechanical problem could get round a marathon if they do the training, even if it's walk-run. One of my running club drinking partners is 72 and has been boasting about coming 8th in his category on Sunday.

trio25

Über Member
My Oh did it this weekend and I was there cheering and sorting out the logistics of getting there and back. She had been training for a sub 4 hour but 3 weeks off work and training with a chest infection put paid to that, in fact two weeks ago we didn't think she would run. Finished in 4hrs 38mins and it reminded me that I said I wanted to do it again one day (I was slower than that in 2002 but nowhere near as fit as I am now!)

Top Bottom