England : East Sussex London to Brighton Veteran Cars Run, Sunday 5 November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

More on the Reigate Hill crash here.
"She said this car had been coming down the hill and was just out of control, there was a man hanging off the back trying to slow it down.

“When I got to the crash scene, there did not seem to be any official people from the event there, it was horrendous."
Horrific.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Quite.

It's the good old North Downs ridge, which gives us pleasures such as Whitedown, Pebble Hill and Succomb's Hill.
Reigate Hill is less steep than the others, but despite being barely a mile long with a 30 limit is absolutely infamous for crashes; there have been scores of them in recent years. That's for modern cars of course, which have better brakes, ABS, etc.

I've seen veteran cars struggle to maintain control on modest descents, so how anyone thought Reigate Hill was a good idea I don't know. I should think all drivers took it very slowly/cautiously. Especially those who were carrying a full complement of passengers.

No point in speculating about brake fade, brake failure or other explanations. Routing this way was a needless risk that could have been avoided.

Sorry Reigate, you might have enjoyed the passing trade, but the route should never go this way again.

Tim Hall

Quite.

It's the good old North Downs ridge, which gives us pleasures such as Whitedown, Pebble Hill and Succomb's Hill.
Reigate Hill is less steep than the others, but despite being barely a mile long with a 30 limit is absolutely infamous for crashes; there have been scores of them in recent years. That's for modern cars of course, which have better brakes, ABS, etc.

I've seen veteran cars struggle to maintain control on modest descents, so how anyone thought Reigate Hill was a good idea I don't know. I should think all drivers took it very slowly/cautiously. Especially those who were carrying a full complement of passengers.

No point in speculating about brake fade, brake failure or other explanations. Routing this way was a needless risk that could have been avoided.

Sorry Reigate, you might have enjoyed the passing trade, but the route should never go this way again.

Reigate was never going to get the passing trade, as the route was taking the one-way system round the east side of the town then on to Redhill on the A25. In the event a late diversion due to major roadworks by the level crossing removed even that bit from the route.

If the A23 wasn't a possibility, as the organisers decided, which route would you have chosen?

siadwell

Guru
If the A23 wasn't a possibility, as the organisers decided, which route would you have chosen?
Gatton Bottom would have been an option. Horrible fast road and nasty pull out at the end onto A23 (would need marshalling), but possibly preferable to Reigate Hill.

Tim Hall

Left at Tooting Broadway, Mitcham, Mitcham Common, South Croydon, A23?
That seems eminently sensible, presumably with a traditional stop for a piss at Figges Marsh?

(Although isn't Mitcham is in the midst of a big roadworks scheme?)

lazybloke

Considering a new username
If the Reigate Hill level crossing had roadworks the area must have been hell.
A long shot would have been the A24. Nice and flat through the Mole Gap (Leatherhead/Dorking area).

such a nice day ; great ride and good company;
turkey bacon and lamb/beef/chicken sausages at Affogato helped to power me up Clayton hill.
So sorry to hear about the crash and fatal result.
First one I can remember. Reigate Hill was a very bad idea for cars of that age.
Looking forward to Commercial vehicles London to Brighton run 2018; to be held on the first Sunday in May
http://www.hcvs.co.uk/pages/calendar.php

Top Bottom