London to Hastings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I have been told that Judge's Bakery in Hastings sells mackarolls ... like sausage rolls but mackerel.

I read that as maccarolls, so this came to mind
getstoned.jpg

Twice I've cycled to Hastings with the intention of trying one, and twice I have failed. Third time lucky?

Three times maccarolls-his-own, unlucky. I have a better feeling about your being able to leave Hastings saying So long and thanks for all the fish.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Today's Hastings pic: ARRRRR!
pirategig.jpg

point of order: AAAR or ARGH?

jay clock

Massive member
Not even read what this about, but just to say that my grandfather (born 1902) did London to Hastings and back in the twenties without touching a foot down. Singlespeed I think he said, and presumably bike weighed tonnes! He also did Rugby to Torquay in a day. 193 miles. Wish he was alive to recount my exploits to....

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What time will you be going through Hayes on the 3rd? I have half a plan to ride to Hastings and then add on a bit, but it depends on our eta there.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Uh-oh. Sorry, can't join you on your recce. Sorry. My pathetic diary management skills strike again.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Uh-oh. Sorry, can't join you on your recce. Sorry. My pathetic diary management skills strike again.

No dog with trousers on the 3rd? Oh well. I think it may just be me. Still, I'll be trying your suggestion near Cudham.

In other news for the 3rd, on that day in history {I've got a Day in history thing going} I note that the US Senate began its hearing on Project MKUltra, the CIA's mind control program. They used "numerous methodologies to manipulate people's mental states and alter brain functions, including the surreptitious administration of drugs (especially LSD) and other chemicals, hypnosis, sensory deprivation, isolation, verbal and sexual abuse, as well as various forms of torture." And that was just on their witnesses for the hearing.

Today's Hastings pic: King of the hill
hillking.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
No dog with trousers on the 3rd? Oh well. I think it may just be me. Still, I'll be trying your suggestion near Cudham.
Sorry, fambly duties call.

By the way I think you may find my suggestion nearly as steep as the Grim Reaper hill: I rode down that hill on Sunday. It's much steeper than I remembered it, and accompanied by one just as steep in the other direction. I said confidently to my mate "It's OK, it's downhill into Hayes from here, we've got all the hills out of the way now". We hadn't. Several times we hadn't.

Amusingly we were taking a tough-guy direct route over the Downs, and we kept getting to the top of a steep climb to be passed by a high speed club group. They'd disappear into the distance on their wimpy roundabout route, and we'd trundle down and up the next hill, to be passed by them again. I think they passed us three times.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
That's OK. Actually I'm going to be cancelling the recce ride; I did one today. Barely made it up that hill on my SS! Fortunately it's short. The worst bits are the beginning where you go round the bend and think Uh Oh, then the end where you go round another bend and think Again? The middle's fine.

Last edited:

gbs

Guru
"Is that it? Talk but no action" he said getting up from his desk. "Hurry, hurry, summer is almost over".

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I would've liked to do an open recce as planned, because indeed, time is a-wasting, but it didn't work out. Am looking forward to the 30th, with fingers crossed that it stays the 30th.

Meanwhile, today's Hastings pic [rummages around]:
Hfishing.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom