London to Wootton Bassett and back again

Which date would you be able to make?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok as some of you are probably aware as I've asked for advice in the informal rides section, my nephew is just about to return from a tour of duty in Afghanistan. My brother, his father, called me to discuss a welcome home party with fundraising for Help 4 Heroes. He also suggested I could do a sponsored bike ride in support of H4H.

My request for advice resulted in quite a few extremely good ideas but the one that seems most appropriate is London - Wootton Bassett - London given WB's connection to the armed forces. This ride will be around the 240 mile mark. It will certainly be faster than FNRttC but it should also be fun, I'd guess somewhere around the speed of the Cambridge ride for food last weekend.

So now I just need to come up with a date for this ride. One date has been mentioned already which is the summer solstice, the idea would be to leave Hyde Park Corner at midnight (or possibly 11pm) on 20th June with the intention of hitting Stonehenge for dawn or just after (hopefully before all the druids put their suits on and head for the office!). This would mean averaging 15mph at least for this stretch. We'd then wander up to Wootton Bassett for photos and a brunch/lunch/both before heading back probably at a slightly slower speed but I don't want to be still out when it gets dark again. If there are enough takers for this date then it's settled but I appreciate not everyone is able to take the time off work.

An alternative would be to do the ride one Saturday although I think a midnight/early morning start is probably still a good idea. Anyway please let me know what you think.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I think bringing it forward to the weekend would be a better idea, no problems with anyone getting off work. If you do go for the 20th, I might still be able to make it though.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I can and would love to take time off work for this and checking the diaries, theres not many weekends free so am happy with it.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Why do you, oh kebabbed one, have "diaries", when us mere mortals have 'a diary' - or, at worst 'diary a' ? Pray tell.

(You flash ponce! :biggrin:) See you soon old feller.

Ah, teeth, dearest, one diary for work, cycling and social and another for debauchery...

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Right it's now settled more or less. 11pm at HPC on Mon 20th June. It's then a quick 90 miles down to Stonehenge with a deadline of 5am for the solstice so please be aware that we're not talking FNRttC speeds here.

We'll then watch the druids for a bit before going on to Royal Wootton Bassett for breakfast. Someone has suggested alerting the Mayor of Royal Wootton Bassett that we'll be there and I'm still thinking about this. From RWB, it's straight back to London. Round trip will be around the 250 mile mark but can't say for certain yet as I'm still plotting the route which I'll post up as soon as it's ready. I expect there to be a few iterations of the route before it's finalised.

I expect to be back in London around 5-6pm if all goes well, which it probably won't.

Oh I nearly forgot, should you want to sponsor me, see link in my sig! :thumbsup:

All sigs are turned off for me, Big M so pm me with a link ta. :smile: I'd like to do this but I'm not sure about the speed business...

I'll have a look in a bit and see if I have the old route available. 11pm is leaving it a bit tight I would think - there is a lot of faffing / no-go areas / walking bits because Mr Police-Presence keeps a fairly tight rein on that approach to The Stones, where all the whacky things occur. And, a further hazard, the "crowd control" aspect involves the use of hovering cameras - and they whizz around... ok for normal height folk but :rolleyes:

iZaP

Über Member
I think I could manage this work load.

If you accept me to the little peloton Martin, I'll cycle!

gbs

Guru
Martin, sounds intriguing but unfortunately I have a conflicting appointment (already once deferred) AM of the 21st. Will PM you. Good luck.

We rode through there on the way to Cardiff from London... it's a reasonably tough ride out just to there.
Four lots of two Hercules flew across the landscape whilst we were passing - the local population must have seen the same thing many times, with all its connotations...

redjedi

Über Member
Right it's now settled more or less. 11pm at HPC on Mon 20th June. It's then a quick 90 miles down to Stonehenge with a deadline of 5am for the solstice so please be aware that we're not talking FNRttC speeds here.
I know we're not talking FNR speeds here, but I think an 11 o'clock start may be a bit late to get to Stonehenge before sunrise at 4.45. I might be able to manage 15mph on my commute but I'm not sure about doing it over 90 miles, especially if there's still over 100+ miles to go.
I would suggest leaving at 10pm bringing the average speed down to less than 13mph which be a lot more comfortable, even if it's just physiological.

And as I want to be lazy I'll meet you before Hounslow which will save me going into town and back out again.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Fair point. I'm also considering something Andy A said about making it a day ride. If we left HPC at around 3.30 - 4am we would be riding in daylight for almost all of it. However we'd obviously miss sunrise at stonehenge and also not sure what the A30 is like during the day. Still open to ideas. Will plot a route at the weekend

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Martin, just to confirm , the way back, given that we will all be puhing our limits, the A4, as I done it coming home Saturday, is a boring, but sensible option thats flat and currenty, with a tail wind very fast. Put it this way, Swindon to home was about 70 odd miles and the riding time was about 4 hours. Pushed it a bit but baring a few slight inclines, a doddle to do, fairly pleasant too, baring one section between maidenhead and sluff and also the slough trading estate, other than that, its fine. Oh, the Reading one way is shat, but fine.

A30, going out, well, am happy with it with no big concern. Part has cycle lanes and its more rolling than flat/hilly, but fine none the less.

Both the above routes have plenty of petrol stations/supermarkets dotted along for pit-stops.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Martin, just to confirm , the way back, given that we will all be puhing our limits, the A4, as I done it coming home Saturday, is a boring, but sensible option thats flat and currenty, with a tail wind very fast. Put it this way, Swindon to home was about 70 odd miles and the riding time was about 4 hours. Pushed it a bit but baring a few slight inclines, a doddle to do, fairly pleasant too, baring one section between maidenhead and sluff and also the slough trading estate, other than that, its fine. Oh, the Reading one way is shat, but fine.

A30, going out, well, am happy with it with no big concern. Part has cycle lanes and its more rolling than flat/hilly, but fine none the less.

Both the above routes have plenty of petrol stations/supermarkets dotted along for pit-stops.

Cheers Davy. I might draw up two routes as Frank mentioned a nice road in his write up of the weekend but I think that has more hills. It'll then be a vote between routes and times!

It's good to know there are nice, straight A roads with food though in case we need them! :thumbsup:

puhing our limits
Since I took you out to play in Hertford, Davy, you seem to have spent a great deal of time doing this!

11pm is leaving it a bit tight I would think - there is a lot of faffing / no-go areas
I'll say it again to add to Luke's concern.

And if you just want to mangle the miles, then what Davy said. Just spend the 'made up' time in Wooton Bassett, then aim for the A4 via Broad Hinton and Rockley etc... to maybe add a bit of visual delight and not just violent tarmac. It will be arduous enough watching 'Downhill Davy', shorts-a-flutter, flap past on every descent :eek:

Something to bear in mind is the date you have chosen. It is the Solstice Day, and to ignore the event seems a bit of a strange call - and yet I do understand what Andy is saying.
So, A30etc at night time/garages etc/ Stonehenge at 5am/upwards to RWB, breakfast again, dive down and A4 back, Davy buys pints for everyone in Hounslow, and the rest is a roll into London, past Luke's again, and out.

Top Bottom