London to Wootton Bassett and back again

Which date would you be able to make?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
If you're even thinking of using the GPS to do route finding on the day, I find it best to try the audax style routing technique. Here's what I use on my etrex.

• Draw / create a track of the actual route you want.
  • Add numbered waypoints at each junction, naming each with the instruction required (eg. 001-SOX, 002-L:T, 003-R:TL) etc,
  • Create a route that uses each waypoint as a via point.
  • Follow the route, with the track still visible.
Sounds like a lot of faff, but gives the following advantages:
  • You know ahead of time what to do at the next junction.
  • You know how far the next junction is away.
  • The GPS beeps and lights up every time you reach a junction.
  • The track is always visible between instructions if you get real paranoid.
No idea how that'll work on your new fangled Edge things, but then am expecting them to be powered down by the time it matters ;)

I'll post a rendering of our route back from Brighton shortly, so you can see what I mean.

Andy.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
If you're even thinking of using the GPS to do route finding on the day, I find it best to try the audax style routing technique. Here's what I use on my etrex.

• Draw / create a track of the actual route you want.
  • Add numbered waypoints at each junction, naming each with the instruction required (eg. 001-SOX, 002-L:T, 003-R:TL) etc,
  • Create a route that uses each waypoint as a via point.
  • Follow the route, with the track still visible.
Sounds like a lot of faff, but gives the following advantages:
  • You know ahead of time what to do at the next junction.
  • You know how far the next junction is away.
  • The GPS beeps and lights up every time you reach a junction.
  • The track is always visible between instructions if you get real paranoid.
No idea how that'll work on your new fangled Edge things, but then am expecting them to be powered down by the time it matters ;)

I'll post a rendering of our route back from Brighton shortly, so you can see what I mean.

Andy.

Right how an Edge is meant to work:

Draw a route on ridewithgps etc
Save to unit as a GPX
Unit will wake up before each junction (usually around 400 metres before) and tell you there's a junction coming up.
Route always shows as a pink line when in map mode but the unit will always switch from whatever mode you're in to map mode when there is a junction approaching.
Follow route until unit says you have reached your destination. Simples!!

How my Edge works.

First two as above. Unit will wake up and tell you to turn right down the non-existent track to your left. Curse unit. Follow signposts. If in doubt, use Google maps.
Arrive at your destination muttering dark things like "F*****g GPS" and "Why do I bother with that piece of cack". Stop muttering when SWMBO gives you a beer and threatens to hit you unless you stop muttering.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Right how an Edge is meant to work:

Draw a route on ridewithgps etc
Save to unit as a GPX
Unit will wake up before each junction (usually around 400 metres before) and tell you there's a junction coming up.
Route always shows as a pink line when in map mode but the unit will always switch from whatever mode you're in to map mode when there is a junction approaching.
Follow route until unit says you have reached your destination. Simples!!

How my Edge works.

First two as above. Unit will wake up and tell you to turn right down the non-existent track to your left. Curse unit. Follow signposts. If in doubt, use Google maps.
Arrive at your destination muttering dark things like "F*****g GPS" and "Why do I bother with that piece of cack". Stop muttering when SWMBO gives you a beer and threatens to hit you unless you stop muttering.

Oh yes....when it works well (and on occasion it does, honest), it really does. When it does that 'you need to turn' thing when you know absolutely you're on the right road and it won't stop nagging you....grrr!

iZaP

Über Member
Didn't the battery just about last me till home?

I didn't say FNRttC and back using my GPS, I can't get to the end of my flipping road using it!But the battery usually copes.

Your GPS is fine. We got home just fine back from hastings ;)

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well apart from the detour up that ridiculously steep hill and getting me lost in Dartford :smile:

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

redjedi

Über Member
Have you decided when you want to start yet?

If I'm going to join you I'll need to book some days off work, so I need to decide if I'm going to take Monday - Wednesday off or just Tues and Wed.
Although considering this comes so soon after Whitstable I will probably take the Monday off anyway.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Have you decided when you want to start yet?

If I'm going to join you I'll need to book some days off work, so I need to decide if I'm going to take Monday - Wednesday off or just Tues and Wed.
Although considering this comes so soon after Whitstable I will probably take the Monday off anyway.

I haven't yet no. I'm still celebrating my birthday so thinking is a bit tricky at the mo!!! :cheers:

I haven't yet no. I'm still celebrating my birthday so thinking is a bit tricky at the mo!!! :cheers:

Continued 'Happy Birthday' bigM - this is going to be a 'hard ride'... make sure there are lots of night/day feeding places open!!!

iZaP

Über Member
I'm waiting for this one now ;P

It's straight after fnrttc...so that would make a nice warm up before this beast!

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm waiting for this one now ;P

It's straight after fnrttc...so that would make a nice warm up before this beast!

It should be good I hope! Just need to finalise the route and choose a start time.

I'm currently wavering on whether or not to do the Whitstable ride 4 days before this or not! :ohmy:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok I've decided we should leave at 7pm from HPC. Does anyone have any major objections to this? I'm working on two objectives:

1. Get to Royal Wootton Bassett whatever but it doesn't matter what time.
2. Get to Stonehenge for dawn if possible.

The pros to me of a 7pm start therefore are:

1. We'll get to Royal Wootton Bassett at around 1am/2am which puts us at least in the area of Stonehenge for dawn rather than trying to race 100 miles to get there.
2. We won't be getting back much later than a SMRbtH.
3. We hopefully will hit London at a sensible time rather than afternoon rush hour (I know this doesn't matter to some of you!)

Cons:

1. It'll be dark in RWB (could someone bring a flash camera please!)
2. Finding food stops may prove tricky but we're inventive people
3. The A30 during the day may not be as manageable as the A30 at night.

Any comments???

Hi Mart - hope the big G is getting a little easier!
OK - I'm trying to imagine...
If I left HPC (The Cenotaph :whistle:) at 7pm, I would reckon on a bit of outbound traffic. If I had a choice between the two venues, I would just go towards Stonehenge. The early set off would mean eateries open to plenish and replenish etc... and an early sun-up would mean an arrival in comfort - via the A30 et seq.
From there, it is 30 - odd miles in a Northerly direction, arriving at RWB about - let's be generous - 09:00. Plenty of time for you to hang around at the Town hall, in front of the Air Base Gates- wherever, for photo opportunities - in daylight. From there, a diagonal towards the A4 is a 'tap in' to London - as Davy will testify (He left us at Swindon). Also, he has pressed along this road townbound on a Friday afternoon, and found it acceptable. This way around, it will always be without the pressing of London-bound traffic in rush hour, and get eveyone back to the Cenotaph (for the finale) in good time... AndyA will come along and provide the sagacious viewpoint soon... ;)

Edited to say that, of course, I'm being inconsiderate and not taking into account that you may have family festivities planned for the early evening, therefore - ignore me... it's not difficult! :smile:

redjedi

Über Member
As little Martin :wacko: says Martin, I would probably head for Stone Henge first then onto RWB for daylight piccies.

But at the moment I'm more worried about my saddle that's suddenly become very un-comfortable.
I may just have to grin grimace and bear it though (pain killers will be packed)
I think I'll start commuting on it to try and get myself accustomed to it again.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
As little Martin :wacko: says Martin, I would probably head for Stone Henge first then onto RWB for daylight piccies.

But at the moment I'm more worried about my saddle that's suddenly become very un-comfortable.
I may just have to grin grimace and bear it though (pain killers will be packed)
I think I'll start commuting on it to try and get myself accustomed to it again.

So what time are we thinking of leaving then? 10pm, 11pm? Any earlier and we'll be at Stonehenge at 3am which might be a bit boring and cold!!! :cold:

I'm happy to go whichever way round people think best to achieve the two objectives

Top Bottom