London to Wootton Bassett and back again

Which date would you be able to make?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Without wanting to hi-jack your baby and plans, Tall Mart, but am with Teef and Luke..

The bit I look at is this, and its backwards thinking...

Sunrise at "StonedHenge" will be at 4:45am on the 21st..
Its Hillyer on the way on the A30 out than back along the A4.

So leave the Cenotaph at about 8:30pm, head towards Stonehenge avoiding alot of the London outbound traffic then. Arrive about 4am'ish, as, dont forget, its going to be busy. Sunrises. Photos, blah etc. We pootle to RWB. about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs.. Arrive, say, half 7-8am. Leave when ever after photos, fat brekkie etc (9am'ish). Ride home via a4 route which will be dead then, get to Cenotaph about 4-5pm, pre-rush hour. Look Mum no hands.. passes out.. :whistle:
Any good?

So, anyone fancy a reccie to "StonedHenge" this weekend?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Without wanting to hi-jack your baby and plans, Tall Mart, but am with Teef and Luke..

The bit I look at is this, and its backwards thinking...

Sunrise at Glasto will be at 4:45am on the 21st..
Its Hillyer on the way on the A4 out than back along the A4.

So leave the Cenotaph at about 8:30pm, head towards Glasto avoiding alot of the London outbound traffic then. Arrive about 4am'ish, as, dont forget, its going to be busy. Sunrises. Photos, blah etc. We pootle to RWB. about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs.. Arrive, say, half 7-8am. Leave when ever after photos, fat brekkie etc (9am'ish). Ride home via a4 route which will be dead then, get to Cenotaph about 4-5pm, pre-rush hour. Look Mum no hands.. passes out.. :whistle:
Any good?

So, anyone fancy a reccie to Glasto this weekend?

Happy for people to come up with suggestions (I wouldn't call it hijacking!) as I'd be completely lost without you lot.

I'm happy with that plan. I'll re-do the route to take in your previous suggestions and post it up, hopefully by the weekend. I'm assuming you meant hillier on the A30 on the way out? or are we doing A4 both ways?

I'd be tempted by Glastonbury this weekend but currently got gout so can't commit to anything at the mo.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Thanks. The last thing I want to do is step on your toes..

Yes, sorry, A30 out, A4 back. A4 twice would kill what ever grey matter we have left off.

Gout? Oh no... But isnt that what sailors from years ago got on long journeys when there wasnt much to do but drink?? :rolleyes: . GWS though.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
But isnt that what sailors from years ago got on long journeys when there wasnt much to do but drink?? :rolleyes: . GWS though.

Let's see I started drinking heavily on the 27th May, I continued through 28th, 29th, 30th, 31st May. Into the 1st June still going strong, 2nd June flagged a little and finally stopped on the 3rd!!! :eek: I don't call it my birthweek for nothing!!

I think you mean scurvy though!! :whistle:

You lot are nuts! Do you really want to go to 'Glastonbury'? (Or all you all BBC freeloaders wanting to choose the best lairs for a 'business weekend away'.) + it's an extra 50 miles from STONEHENGE.

A Midsummer Night's Dream is on the cards for an 04:45 feelgood sun, along with the assorted weirdos that are not in lycra but maybe are cuddling litre bottles of grog... woad smeared bits instead of sudocreme smared er bits.

LFGSS usually have a ride heading this way along the A30 - might be worth checking if it's happening this year...

A30 out, up, a downward diagonal, A4 back. There's a coffee shop near the Cenotaph with a sit outsidee bit I seem to remember

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
:whistle:Ahh man, I still have a monging hangover of the worst kind still from the weekend, ive got no idea what am doing anymore right now.

Sex drugs and rock n roll, am giving it all up! hahaha

Yes, Stonehenge, not Glasto, am a prat, what more can I say!

And hey Teef, were not known as mousekerteers for nowt, except gowt... ;)

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I give you yet another attempt at a route (here). Davy I've gone through Staines again but took your Thorpe diversion into account. If you could lead this bit though until we're back on track I'd be grateful. Andy I have a feeling your GPS will be invaluable as it takes normal batteries!!! 220 miles from the Cenotaph and return means I should get 250 up if I try.

The route gives Stonehenge at about 100 miles. So working backwards 6 hours (yes Andy I know I always underestimate but bear with me) from 4.45am is 10.45pm. So if we say leave the Cenotaph at 8.30pm (see told you to bear with me!
biggrin.gif
) that should give us time for at least two stops and possible mechanicals. As 'Teef says it's then a short hop up to RWB for photos and breakfast. Once we leave RWB it's just a case of enjoying ourselves and getting home really.

Now i've just got to get myself fit. Off to the docs tomorrow to get my feet looked at but I don't see any reason why I won't be ready. May be a bit rusty and possibly need to pack painkillers for my achilles just in case.

So who is coming along then?

iZaP

Über Member
What is the exact date/time for this?

I don't know what Davy has suggested - I would straight line it a bit more as there is nothing scenic in Thorpe Trading Estate etc. I think between us we know the way out of town and can all get lost well into the ride... At Andover, I would be thinking A303 - at that time of the morning it will be ok. Seems a lot of wendy-windy way to arrive at Stonehenge. Key part to 'work up' is the 'unknown' bit between the stones and RWB. Whatever - there's no rush :biggrin:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Part of being off the A303 is also a detour to Tidworth barracks but I agree there's plenty of opportunities to get lost later

Top Bottom