London Triathlon advice (cycling bit)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

womblechops

Could I pick your collective wise brains (sorry to detract from the TdF threads for a mo)?

I am doing the 20K ride as part of a team entry to the above. Trouble is I have a choice of my 1 tonne dutch canal cruiser complete with hub dynamo, binding brakes and enough in the way of racks, mudguards and dynamos to really slow it down, or my slinky and nippy Pearson singlespeed.

My choice is the Pearson especially as the course looks flatter than the proverbial pancake but this means I would have to increase my gear so as not to get totally thrashed by everyone else.

Can anyone confirm that the course is indeed as flat as it looks from google or are there ramps and bits which will have every other rider sailing past me?

Will1985

Über Member
Looks virtually pan-flat to me. Not more than a change of 15m in elevation.

Bigtwin

Well, you won't be stupidly slow with that gearing, but you won't be ultra-fast either. I guess it depends on how seriously you are taking it speed-wise.

OP
OP
womblechops

womblechops

Speed wise I only need not disgrace myself - there's a reasonable chance my colleague won't make it out of the swim alive which will let me off anyway!

As regards the fixed v. singlespeed thing, I understand Triathlon rules oblige you to have both a freewheel and brakes, otherwise I certainly would just for the credo.

OP
OP
womblechops

womblechops

Thanks to those who advised above. Did the race today and although I haven't seen the official results yet I think the Pearson acquitted itself quite well.

It was indeed flat as the proverbial pancake save for a couple of minor rises (and the ramp at the end). V windy across the East End wastelands though...

All in all excellent fun. I may have to swim too next time. Not running though - that's for nutters.

Top Bottom