Long Distance Cyclist On The Telly.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I was chatting to a friend in the UK (a non-cyclist) the other day and she was telling me about a prog she had seen on the telly about some bloke cycling around the world. She's not anti-cycling so perhaps her reaction to it can be regarded as neutral/objective. She felt that the bloke was in the same whinging prat league as that solo yachtswoman who was forever bursting into tears (Ellen something or other) as he was constantly moaning about the things he didn't like about his trip. OTH she was impressed with the fact that he had done it.

The thing is, and I'm taking it that her description of his whinging was fair, you do have to wonder why TV producers can't find people doing this sort of thing who actually enjoy it. When you read touring reports on this forum everybody seems to be happy about and pleased with what they've done. Funny old world innit?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Andy in Sig said:
The thing is, and I'm taking it that her description of his whinging was fair, you do have to wonder why TV producers can't find people doing this sort of thing who actually enjoy it. When you read touring reports on this forum everybody seems to be happy about and pleased with what they've done. Funny old world innit?
... or maybe that the TV producers chose to put those bits in to the programmes (which were only about 4 x 30 mins) as they want to show how tough it can be/what a wimp he really is. 185 days condensed to 4 x 30 mins ? It's as if they only choose the moaning bits and don't include the
happy about and pleased with
sections.
Dumbing down TV ???

dodgy

My Mrs watched it and she doesn't think he did any moaning (she's not a cyclist), and for that matter I don't think he moaned either. My wife was surprised there wasn't any video of him crying, considering what he had put himself through.

Dave.

lycradodger

Andy in Sig said:
you do have to wonder why TV producers can't find people doing this sort of thing who actually enjoy it. When you read touring reports on this forum everybody seems to be happy about and pleased with what they've done.

Watch the programme and make up your own mind. I don't think your friend is being fair. Your average tour on this forum is somewhat shorter than a round the world trip. I thought it gave a balanced and interesting view of what it would be like to do such a journey, with the highs and lows involved. It would be unreasonable to expect it to be a problem-free experience: a hundred miles almost every day for over six months.

ChrisKH

Guru
Yes he did moan a bit but I suspect anyone would with the mileages he was putting in day in, day out (100miles + a day for what was it; five-six months?). His moans were pretty light in the circumstances; he had open sores on his backside, slept really badly at times, had trouble keeping up his calories because all his food was bought locally (impossible during Ramadan in Muslim countries) and the only time I saw him really affected was when he got mugged in the US. And he still kept going. I don't think the criticism is justified given what he achieved.

Mind you, he may have started something off. A part time cyclist I know from school has had enough; recently divorced he is saving to go round the world on his bike via Asia, NZ and America next year.........

Greedo

The guy had set himself a target and knew exactly what he needed to do on a daily basis.

He was driven and determined to achieve his goal and considering the heat on the first half in some countries, the cold, wind and rain on the 2nd half as he hit winter in the States and Europe, cycling 100 miles per day and having the time to rest and consume 6000 calories he done amazing. The odd moan about weeping saddle sores, not having enough food and having the odd shite nights sleep is alright to be honest.

That with the obvious lonliness as he hardly had time to speak to anyone, being away from home for 5 months i think he done well considering he was only 24/25.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I've seen two episodes so far and don't think he's moaning. As everyone's said so far, he suffered a fair amount...but he's dead focussed and has as many highs as lows!! Isn't that touring anyway? One day you're Queen of the Mountains, next day you're Moaning Minnie? Or is that just me.

Didn't think his bike has come out of it very well so far... he should have got a Thorn :biggrin:

wafflycat

Cathryn said:
I've seen two episodes so far and don't think he's moaning. As everyone's said so far, he suffered a fair amount...but he's dead focussed and has as many highs as lows!! Isn't that touring anyway? One day you're Queen of the Mountains, next day you're Moaning Minnie? Or is that just me.

Didn't think his bike has come out of it very well so far... he should have got a Thorn :biggrin:

:biggrin:

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Whenever I hear critics, I think of them like eunachs. Very good at watching and picking fault, but haven't got the balls (if you excuse the expression) to do it themselves. There are very few people in this world that can ride over 100 miles in a day. Even less in this country alone. Then to do that day after day for 5 months + and break the Guiness WORLD Record, takes a special breed. Mr Beaumont is one person that not only thought about it, dreamt about it, he actually got OFF HIS ASS and DID IT. People in the media need people like Mark Beaumont to do things like that to create interest in increasingly STALE tv listings.

just jim

Cathryn said:

CTC mag interview:

A Thorn was a strong contender but he eventually picked a Koga Miyata with a 63cm aluminium frame. ' the argument for steel over aluminium is an old one, the idea being that you can't fix aluminium if it breaks. But I went for strength'. He's pleased with his choice. 'The frame looks good as new even after 18,000 miles.'

Top Bottom