Long Distance Cyclist On The Telly.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob S

I don't remember much moaning....what I remember is one day him saying he's feeling really good and happy and then the next day him feeling very low and then the next day him feeling better and that sums up the nature of the challenge, just as it was for Ellen MacArthur who also seemed to cop it from the great unwashed.

So for all those on all these TMWCTW threads that keep moaning about him moaning remember he had to ride for 195 days....you had to watch 4 x 30 minute telly programmes from your comfy chair.

jassy-x

Andy in Sig said:
I tend to the view that when the going gets tough the old stiff upper lip is the only approach i.e. don't whinge and get on with it in grim, determined silence, a sort of Scott's polar expedition approach. From a purely personal taste point of view, I don't like the fashionable idea that we are all supposed to have our emotions permanently on display or at least I think it's better to show toughness in adversity even if you're whimpering like a whipped puppy inside.
....I think it would have been misleading to all should the rider or the programme makers have adopted or portrayed this type of attitude....I also thought it was well balanced even if only to give a very slight feel of the physical and mental endurance experienced throughout by Mr Beaumont.....
...if the programme had only shown him pedalling away in the sunshine with a constant smile on his face.....then we would all be saying...''right dear, just popping out around the world, be back in 195 days...byeeee!!!
...with respect Andy, I am not in any way attempting to down your admirable attitude and approach to tasks and such, but I think once you have seen the documentary you may have a better feel for the magnitude of the feat, situations encountered and the need for realistic portrayal .....:biggrin:

Noodley said:
Now, I am sure the bikers endured hardship, but it would barely register on the Beaumont scale...(you see what I did there, eh, eh? ;))
...nice one Noodley....I will be measuring all my rides in future against the Beaumont scale...(would be lucky to hit the first notch!!!!!:smile:)

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Yes of course, I need to see the thing and will get it if it comes out on DVD.

But ... had the rider adopted that attitude as his way of coping, then it would have been the reality and not misleading, if you see what I mean. Obviously if he was giving it loads of manly stares into the middle distance and then burst into tears as soon as the camera was switched off, that would have been another matter.

jassy-x

Andy in Sig said:
Yes of course, I need to see the thing and will get it if it comes out on DVD.

But ... had the rider adopted that attitude as his way of coping, then it would have been the reality and not misleading, if you see what I mean. Obviously if he was giving it loads of manly stares into the middle distance and then burst into tears as soon as the camera was switched off, that would have been another matter.
...yes...I understand what you mean Andy....each individual will have thier own personal way of coping with each and every situation, and how they wish that image to be portrayed...and due to the fact that Mr Beaumont did most of the filming himself, that particular portrayal was at his mercy, of which I would like to believe an honest interpretation was delivered....
....no matter what, I think you'll agree once you get the opportunity to see it for yourself that this feat demanded one tough focused character, no matter which persona was displayed or conceived....
...and I'm sure you will enjoy.....

buggi

Bird Saviour
...anyway, who said he was doing it for fun??? he did it coz it was a challenge and his "moaning" (which was really just an honest account of how he felt at that particular moment) reflected the true challenge it was. maybe this is where your mate is confused? maybe she thinks people do these challenges purely for the fun of it, not because they want to turn round at the end of the day and say "I did that really tough challenge and i'm proud!"

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
As I said she is a non-cyclist or very occasional leisure cyclist and she was simply struck by the "moaning" the bloke was doing. It's interesting to note that the people on here who are much more familiar with cycling serious distances take a different line.

Rob S

It doesn't take a cyclist to see the effort needed to cycle round the world...or a sailor to see the challenge in sailing around the world or a mountaineer to see how hard it is for someone suffering from vertigo to climb the Eiger...or run seven marathons in seven continents in seven days....or someone to design something that'll no doubt feature on Megastructures or whatever....if you sit down and watch a programme about such exploits you are going to see the people pointing out sensations as they experience them...ie pain, loneliness, vunerability, euphoria etc etc...unless you are watching a Michael Palin documentary in which case you will just get the sights, sounds and background info on the places with the only brief glimpse of a problem when they might miss the only boat to godknowswhere...such people should just try watching it with a stiff upper lip. Scott's approach of determined silence was no doubt because he was unable to point out the difficulty of traversing some bit of thin ice as there were no movie cameras about.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've only just come across this thread. Moaning? I don't remember him whingeing at all. I thought he came over as a really nice bloke doing an extraordinary thing with humour, humility and self awareness. Pointning out the tough bits like cycling into a howling headwind across the Nullabor isn't whingeing, it's telling it how it is IMHO

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
When you watch it, Andy, you'll hardly call it moaning or whinging. He was just really explaining what was going on at the time, or how the day had been, or the difficulties that faced him.

Given that he was going full-on day after day, for very long hours (100 miles a day with full camping gear takes considerable effort), anyone expecting a thoughtful travelogue has severely underestimated the task he set himself and the continuous exhaustion level he must have been operating at.

Also, the saddle sore issue was probably somewhat glossed over in comparison with the pain and disruption it must have caused him - remember he just had to keep going regardless (not unlike Ranulph Fiennes and Charlie Burton when they had to continue crossing Antarctica with no skin on their fingers after having to do maintenance on their vehicles with their gloves off), which must have been agony for most of the trip.

Top Bottom