Longest cycle / 24hrs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
200 Miles Kings Lynn and back in a day, Have done three 200 mile rides.
https://www.strava.com/activities/3849963606

‘Inspired’ by Steve Abraham and Kurt Searvogel (who were attempting to break Tommy Godwin’s world record from 1939 by cycling 75,065 miles in a year - which works out at an average of 205+ miles every day).
I thought a good test would be to ‘try’ the 205 miles in the summer of 2016.
I did it, and enjoyed the experience, but wouldn’t willingly do it again, not to mention that I probably couldn’t do it if I had to.
So, if you’re up for a personal challenge - just do it.

Tenkaykev

Guru
While my furthest continuous distance wasn't cycling, I did run 141 and a bit miles around a running track. It was a 1/4 mile cinder track, none of this 400 metre synthetic malarkey ( though to be fair, the organisers did sweep the inside lane so it wasn't too gritty 😄)
Scorching hot day followed by quite a mild night. The bus and train journey home afterwards was a bit uncomfortable, lot's of spontaneous cramping meant me frequently needing to get out of my seat and stagger around like a marionette 😁

Jameshow

Veteran
While my furthest continuous distance wasn't cycling, I did run 141 and a bit miles around a running track. It was a 1/4 mile cinder track, none of this 400 metre synthetic malarkey ( though to be fair, the organisers did sweep the inside lane so it wasn't too gritty 😄)
Scorching hot day followed by quite a mild night. The bus and train journey home afterwards was a bit uncomfortable, lot's of spontaneous cramping meant me frequently needing to get out of my seat and stagger around like a marionette 😁

Having done 80 miles that kicks any century in the long grass!
Up there with non stop lejog attempts imho.

Did anyone see that bath tunnel ultra race? Madness - why!!

Tenkaykev

Guru
Having done 80 miles that kicks any century in the long grass!
Up there with non stop lejog attempts imho.

Did anyone see that bath tunnel ultra race? Madness - why!!
80 miles? Petersfield to Eastbourne for a cold shower in the Rugby Club would be my guess 😎
Yes, I saw the Bath event and as a younger man it's so wonderfully bonkers I'd definitely have put my name down. 😄

Jameshow

Veteran
80 miles? Petersfield to Eastbourne for a cold shower in the Rugby Club would be my guess 😎
Yes, I saw the Bath event and as a younger man it's so wonderfully bonkers I'd definitely have put my name down. 😄

Leeds Liverpool canal race.... Mental!!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
223.58 miles- Portsmouth to Cardiff, then the FNRttC on to Swansea, ending with breakfast at Mumbles Pier. Not including the seven or so miles back to Swansea station. What did I learn? That I could cycle 200+ miles in one hit- sort of, lengthy breaks- but I could have done further, or faster, or both. Haven't done that distance since, but have come close. 175 the other week…

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
300km in just over 12 hrs doing the Vatternrundan donkeys years ago. It’s not the lumpiest of courses by the standards I’m used to, but the weather was pretty grim.

TBH I can‘t say I enjoy doing serious distance. 100-120km is at the limit of my enjoyment, though I’ve got huge admiration for those that can just keep chewing up the miles.

slow scot

Veteran
Did the famous “Snow Roads” sportive many years ago, starting and finishing in Banchory. It covers some of the biggest Scottish climbs near ski resorts in the eastern Cairngorms, and was just over 200 miles.
Can’t remember what time it took, but it was with the Deeside Thistle CC, so would have been brisk.

Top Bottom