Looking for a club in Thanet - E Kent!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poppy

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a club in Thanet that accomodates those of us with quite slow bikes! I have a Pashley which I regularly ride from Margate to Whitstable and back, but it's quite boring cycling on your own all the time!! I'm quite sporty, so I'm fit enough to cope with a few steep hills and some distances, but would be left miles behind anyone on a race bike. Maybe there is a vintage cycle club locally?

Any ideas?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Sorry Poppy-not local to East Kent but maybe a Pashley wouldn't suit a club as most are either Mountain bike focused or road bike leaning. Still...there could be some surprises out there!

The other alternative if you want to ride with others is to see if any fellow CCers live amongst your patch of the woods and would be up for a ride.

Welcome to the forum btw!

Jenjam

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a club in Thanet that accomodates those of us with quite slow bikes! I have a Pashley which I regularly ride from Margate to Whitstable and back, but it's quite boring cycling on your own all the time!! I'm quite sporty, so I'm fit enough to cope with a few steep hills and some distances, but would be left miles behind anyone on a race bike. Maybe there is a vintage cycle club locally?

Any ideas?
Hi poppy I have a hybrid and love to ride but am fed up cycling a lone. I emailed a 40 plus cycle club but have not heard back from them. All the other clubs appear to be for road bikes which I have, but I am no where near confident enough to ride any distance, and within a group - YET!!!
Like you Im reasonably fit and can do hills etc, but Im not so good with high speed.
I would be happy to go for a ride with you some time. I live near Ramsgate so could meet you on route to Margate?

Tim Hall

Not knowing Thanet (other than from That Song), I can't comment specifically, but does your local CTC have a suitable group?

Jenjam

opps as you can tell Im new to this! Do you know of any clubs that accept beginners? I really want to get into road cycling but .................. :smile:

gbs

Guru
I was in yr position 5/6 years ago and FWIW here are my suggestions:
  1. obtain an general purpose entry level road bike #1 (£500 new at Decathlon. Dawes offer nice looking bikes at that price level) so that you can get some experience before laying significant sums on kit etc. Be careful about buying second hand unless you know the seller or have an experienced friend to advise.
  2. if you do not get the bug #1 will serve for light shopping or as a substitute for walks in the park
  3. think about what kind of cycling you wish to do - racing/club riding/touring. Consult the gurus on this and other sites re bikes, equipment etc
  4. you probably will be bitten and this will entail more hours on the road so make the transition to cleated shoes and appropriate pedals.
  5. check on the websites of local CTC and cycling clubs to discover their parameters for entry level rides and turn up at the stated times with some food and a drink bottle, knowledge and necessary items for dealing with a puncture AND a map just in case you lose the group
  6. have a cycle fit so as to optimise #1 and buy a best bike, #2. Reserve #1 for wet days and winter.
  7. enjoy the exercise and the country side and the companionship and help keep the retail economy afloat!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
opps as you can tell Im new to this! Do you know of any clubs that accept beginners? I really want to get into road cycling but .................. :smile:
Problem is jenjam ... there aren't many, we do, but were in Abingdon. Today is our cycling festival and I've led a slowish paced beginners (probably just your thing) mellow ride and a 5 mile kids ride.
The reason we can offer this is because we started it ourselves.
Local CTC groups apart there's almost bugger-all available for newbie cyclists, I've met many today who are put off joining a 'regular' club (except ours :thumbsup:). You'll also find there are many people locally in your area who are in the same boat. Nothing will happen until somebody does something.
That somebody could be you!
With the internet it's pretty easy to do. Here's some ideas:

Decide what kind of people you want to attract and what kind of rides
Get a facebook page, don't call it a club, just call it 'Thanet Freewheeling'. Find one or 2 buddies who ride bikes or contact your local bike shop.
Set a date
Decide a nice meeting place
Decide a nice informal ride route preferably incorporating coffee and cake, or crisps and beer
Print a simple poster, for local notice boards cafes, bike shops with the fb page details etc and when the ride will be, how far, who it's for.
Stick a poster in your car
Tell local radio events
See what happens!
If you get a few riders that are like minded, it's a start!

5 years ago 5 similar minded people sat down in a kitchen with coffee and decided to organise a cycling festival. 120 people turned-up! Five years later we'll have taken over 500 people on bike rides today. If you build it they will come.
Here's last year:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KmbKHO4sG8

The thing is decide to do it the way YOU want it to be. CTC are also a good help and worth being affiliated with.
It's really quite easy!
Good Luck :becool:

Lele

Hi guys and gals. I've just joined this forum as stumbled apon it while looking for a cycle club local to me in Thanet. I too love to ride from Margate to reculver and would love a cycle buddy, I have a hybrid bike and a boardman mountain bike. I'm preferring the mountain bike and would love to do a bit of tracking too, but I'm a novis and would feel I would get left behind by a club. If anyone fancies a ridding buddy drop me a message. I'm free most weekends early mornings and evenings. I just need the motivation to get out more :0)

mmmmartin

Random geezer
The San Fairy Ann club might suit you. It has members all over Kent. It tends to meet at Marden, in the station car park, and some people go by train so you could too. It has a dozen or so groups of all abilities. Google it. Also the East Kent CTC exists but is not very active, you might change that?

Emzie75

im a newbie, from margate, looking for a cycle club to join, finding it hard on my own.:cry:please can anyone tell me if there is one in thanet that's not competitive.
just want a fun friendly group please;)

johnmillward

im a newbie, from margate, looking for a cycle club to join, finding it hard on my own.:cry:please can anyone tell me if there is one in thanet that's not competitive.
just want a fun friendly group please;)

Hi.

I am also new to Margate and looking for riding buddies, or to set up an informal group. Are you interested? I don't tend to do anything too long - maybe 20 miles or so.

family guy

Hi.

I am also new to Margate and looking for riding buddies, or to set up an informal group. Are you interested? I don't tend to do anything too long - maybe 20 miles or so.

HI Johnmillard
Like you I am also new to the area and after spending lots of time looking for a club to join which is informal, who just want to go for a ride, and don't care what type of bike your on as long it has pedals, I have drawn a blank:sad:.
I would like to know have you made any progress? Have you started up your own club and looking for new members?

Top Bottom