Loose crank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi,

Can't tighten it any further, and if you look you'll see the arm is loose but the axle is not.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
is there/should there be a washer between the bolt & crank arm?

Tim Hall

Not much to go on is it? What type of crank? What type of bottom bracket? Did it used to fit ok? Have you changed anything?

simongt

Guru
Had a similar problem some years ago with a Puch road bike. Right crank was loose, despite tightening. Realised that the owner had allowed the crank to gradually work loose due to not checking how tight the bolt was. Result being that the part of the crank that fitted over the end of the axle stub became gradually a bit bigger thus will never fit. Solution - new crank I'm afraid - ouch - !:angry:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Not much to go on is it? What type of crank? What type of bottom bracket? Did it used to fit ok? Have you changed anything?

I had it tightened a couple of months back, but I suppose I had noticed something a bit clunky, thought it was the pedal/spd tension was loose.

Been off the bike a week and it seems to be having a strop.

The crank is clearly moving, the mudguard just cracked in half, and the shifting is awful and slipping everywhere!

It's a miche team crankset, 3 years old. The only spare parts I don't have are the replacements for this because I was tempted on the Athena groupset.

Tim Hall

I had it tightened a couple of months back, but I suppose I had noticed something a bit clunky, thought it was the pedal/spd tension was loose.

Been off the bike a week and it seems to be having a strop.

The crank is clearly moving, the mudguard just cracked in half, and the shifting is awful and slipping everywhere!

It's a miche team crankset, 3 years old. The only spare parts I don't have are the replacements for this because I was tempted on the Athena groupset.
So square taper then. Is it the left or right crank that's loose? (My money says the left)

The bearing hasn't "gone", if it's the crank that's moving on the axle. If the bolt is bottoming out, it might be that you've put the JIS taper Miche crank onto an ISO taper bottom bracket. This combination lets the crank sit farther inward on the bottom bracket spindle. A bit of fretting during use and suddenly the crank sits in too far. This is just a possibility though. Another answer is that the crank is banjaxed and you need a new one.

PS, I can't get your video to play.

D

Deleted member 1258

External BB. Looking at the video I'd say that either the crank is knackered, the spindle is knackered or both are knackered. You need to pull it apart to see whats going on.

Tim Hall

External BB. Looking at the video I'd say that either the crank is knackered, the spindle is knackered or both are knackered. You need to pull it apart to see whats going on.
Ah, got the video going now. Like the Little Diesel says, that looks like an external type BB. It's unclear how the crank is fixed to it, so (a) ignore most of what I said for now and (b) take that cap thing off and pull the crank off so we can see what's going on.

(although a bit of googling suggests you've got the crank bolt missing)

lpretro1

It looks like a self-extracting crank so to remove you undo the outer 'cap' a little bit then get a good allen key into the bolt behind and undo it against that 'cap'. Clean everything off and grease it thoroughly and refit and snug up to recommended torque - this sometimes does the trick - if not then you have a problem. It also looks a bit chewed up in there so take care :sad:

Top Bottom