Lorry drivers the best road users, cyclists the worst, says haulage firm boss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fiddled? Or infringements? Infringements are easy to acquire, for instance trying to find safe parking when you have run out of time thanks to some fork lift driver keeping you waiting past your legal time. If it's 4000 infringements, I would say that's a very good record for an industry with so many vehicles on the road.

How often do you break the law in that way?

Brandane

Legendary Member
How often do you break the law in that way?
Personally; never :angel:. But I can appreciate how easily it can happen.

So the operators of the most dangerous vehicles on the road are predominantly criminals, and you reckon that's a "very good record?"

Brandane

Legendary Member
Which statistics are you disputing? FPNs don't constitute criminal offences. Didn't you know this?
In Scotland, I am led to believe that the Police now issue FPN's for such things as a Breach of the Peace, which IS a criminal offence.
Therefore I would not be surprised if your statistician decided to lump in FPN's with other criminal offences in order to come up with the "two thirds" of lorry drivers were illegal headline. It sounds so much more sensational than "2% of lorry drivers were charged with criminal offences, while another 64% were issued with FPN's, mainly for trivial crap".

and yours that they are true ?

Hansard:

There were more convictions for drivers’ hours and tachograph offences in 2013-14 than in the previous year, according to transport minister Claire Perry. Despite the increases in convictions, the total number of trucks checked for drivers’ hours offences in DVSA roadside checks actually dropped from 80,796 in 2012-13 to 77,978 in 2013-14, Perry also revealed.

http://www.commercialmotor.com/latest-news/drivers-hours-and-tachograph-convictions-up-says-perry

Top Bottom