Lorry drivers the best road users, cyclists the worst, says haulage firm boss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
oh FFS spinners

offences include silly stuff like chevron . but you keep heading to the stroke you so obviously want

You didn't read the link did you?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Hansard:

There were more convictions for drivers’ hours and tachograph offences in 2013-14 than in the previous year, according to transport minister Claire Perry. Despite the increases in convictions, the total number of trucks checked for drivers’ hours offences in DVSA roadside checks actually dropped from 80,796 in 2012-13 to 77,978 in 2013-14, Perry also revealed.

http://www.commercialmotor.com/latest-news/drivers-hours-and-tachograph-convictions-up-says-perry
Ahh; so they were infringements, rather than the "fiddling" impression you tried to portray in a previous post. There is a huge difference.
Infringements can easily be down to user error rather than any attempt at fiddling. Just a final example.... Driver stops for the night and forgets to change the mode switch on his tachograph from "other work" (i.e. any duties related to work apart from actual driving) to "rest". He takes his required break of 11 hours (or 9 hrs twice per week) and then wakes up in the morning to find that technically he has been working all night! He should take a paper print out from the tachograph and endorse it with notes on what has happened. VOSA may or may not accept this. However the driver must keep the print out as he can be penalised up to 28 days after the infringement if checked by VOSA or Police. If he has lost the print out ..... he gets it in the neck.
Now @glenn forger , try and chill out a bit about HGV drivers. We aren't all criminal psychopaths; just regular guys trying to do a job. The odd bad apple might appear now and again like any other profession. You seem to have a problem bordering on obsession with us. Get over it, for your own sake.

Ahh; so they were infringements, rather than the "fiddling" impression you tried to portray in a previous post. .

Nope, they were criminal acts. So 5% of the drivers stopped had broken the law, two thirds of the vehicles they drive were breaking the law and the majority of drivers admit breaking the law with regard to speeding. In their own words.

Would that make it dishonest?

You MUSTN'T ever punch kittens, I don't care if they annoy you.

Brandane

Legendary Member
If you argue against a position nobody's taken, would you describe your argument as honest?

I refer you to post #6, which you made (my argument being that your position is that drivers are fiddling their tachos, rather than the lesser offence of infringements):

You can look at last year if you like, when more than four thousand HGV drivers received fines for fiddling their tachos, lying about hours worked and lying to cover up criminality.

http://www.downton.co.uk/increase-in-drivers-hours-and-tachograph-convictions-says-transport-minister/

Now if you'll excuse me, I will be off. You are from past experience, incapable of reasoning with. Also, I have to drive a lorry in the morning so I need to make sure and get my statutory rest period of 9 hours. I wouldn't like to become one of your precious statistics. :okay:

Last edited:
I refer you to post #6, which you made:

Now if you'll excuse me, I will be off. You are from past experience, incapable of reasoning with. Also, I have to drive a lorry in the morning so I need to make sure and get my statutory rest period of 9 hours. I wouldn't like to become one of your precious statistics. :okay:

Apology accepted. Don't you dare misquote me again.

subaqua

What’s the point
I know, you keep saying "bollocks".

I keep asking what part you disagree with.

You keep ignoring the question.

I'll try again, why did you claim that the convictions were "silly" and to do with chevrons?

because if you will actually look and interpret statistics correctly you will see a VAST difference between incorrect reflectors or chevrons and driving a lorry with a bald tyre
a broken reflector or a busted light on a lorry is , whilst breaking the law, not going to endanger the life of another road user .

i got a FPN on the train today , after all the delays from waterloo as the ticket i had meant i should only travel on a super off peak train i broke the law. it isnt proper fare evasion and the guard conductor probably had had a crap day and wasn't going to listen to reason. its in that orrible grey area. I look forward to SW Trains response though as i have a fair idea ther is an apology and a donation to the railway benevolent fund

but you keep on letting us all laugh at you , its becoming entertaining

i await the next line about cycles not killing or hurting as many as lorries.

have a google for safety spectrum

less safe, more safe, unsafe

The convictions weren't for chevrons. Nor were they anything to do with tyres, reflectors or lights.

They were tachograph offences. It's a shame you didn't bother to read the link.

So, the lorry drivers who admitted speeding-you reckon they're lying about breaking the law?

subaqua

What’s the point
The convictions weren't for chevrons. Nor were they anything to do with tyres, reflectors or lights.

They were tachograph offences. It's a shame you didn't bother to read the link.

So, the lorry drivers who admitted speeding-you reckon they're lying about breaking the law?
no . and they coughed.

but keep on digging . you might get out of your own hole

Top Bottom