Low Carb High Fat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The formula I follow is low carb (no sugar, no white flower products but wholegrain bread, brown rice) + high protein (chicken, scrambled egg with low egg yolk content) + high fibre (fruits and salad).
Avoiding sugar helps me to maintain a great performance through the day, no slowing down.

Avoiding sugar is definitely a good thing, but with eating wholegrain bread, rice, fruit and salad, unless you have an unusually high cut-off point before your body switches from fat to carbs, then it's unlikely you're in ketosis. You're unlikely to realise it's an issue unless you try and exercise hard, as your body can manage every day things on the lower level of carbs it's got, but if you exercise hard and start bonking, then you're not in a fat burning state.

The formula I follow is low carb (no sugar, no white flower products but wholegrain bread, brown rice) + high protein (chicken, scrambled egg with low egg yolk content) + high fibre (fruits and salad).
Avoiding sugar helps me to maintain a great performance through the day, no slowing down.
What's your average carb count (in grams) each day? With bread, rice, fruits and salad.... if it's over 100g, it's not a low carb diet. Indeed, if it's over 50, it's unlikely to be ketogenic.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I've just started to follow this way of eating. Mainly as I really do worry about type 2 diabetes. I've slammed on 2 stone due to working a lot of nights and only having access to fast food.

I'm astonished at how difficult it is to avoid carbs, they're literally in everything.

I have also realised that due to my high carb diet I have had to eat at least every 4 hours or I get flaky.

The ironic thing being, I used to eat this way when in the Army and bodybuilding because I needed the proteins for muscle mass, I only stopped because doctors in the 80's and 90's said it was very bad for our health.

It can take up to 8 weeks to get fully adapted, and for your body to switch to just burning fat and running on ketones. Therefore until then, you will find a lack of energy and ability to do as much exercise as previously so until then, bonking can happen. When I switched, I found I'd initially lost about the top 25% of my strength/hill climbing ability and then in the 4-6 week period afterwards regained it, so that then you can just keep on going. Someone else described it like being a dynamo - you can just keep on pedalling without feeling the need to stop to refuel.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
So I've upped my carbs to 50-100 per day. The 20-30 was causing me having hypoglycaemic episodes, which is a bit dodgy whilst I'm using power tools and ladders at gutter height.

The scales reckon I've lost nearly 3/4 stone which seems ridiculous as it's not been long. My Google fu shows it's probably mostly water.

I think I hit ketosis today aswell, dog breath etc etc.

Top Bottom