Low Carb High Fat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I think the LCHF is different from the Atkins in that the Atkins diet was more protein and the LCHF is majority of fat as a source of energy. LCHF isn't necessarily about losing weight although it certainly looks like it is a benefit to the way of eating but about changing peoples views on eating fat and using it up as energy as opposed to eating too many carbs and letting it store as fat around your organs.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It's the science bit, innit. We're all conditioned now to believe that science has all the answers.

Can you clarify what you mean?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
With the caveat mentioned upstream that the measurement of that calorie is not accurate.

I recall reading, maybe even on here, that the calorific content displayed on the packing of most foodstuffs is an estimate based on the previously measured values of the foodstuff's components.

Not that I'd expect otherwise in truth.
It's actually more than good enough.

400bhp

Guru
What I find most interesting about this thread is the propensity in which certain members of this forum are drawn in by "alternative" diets. It's always the same people, so may I ask, what is it that drives such people to seek out these diets?

You know (as srw points out) calories burnt at a greater rate than consumed will lead to weight loss. Most will focus on restricting calories but ignore the calories burned side. Calories burned side being more of an effort for people.

I see it time and time again with my mother and sister.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
I was alerted to this way of eating (it isn't a diet as that implies a start date and a finish date as in, I'm on a diet...) when I saw Tim Noakes a South African professor and runner talking about it in a video.

I started it in April after doing a lot of research and have lost 2 stone and quite frankly have never felt better.

My Sunday bike rides have been so much more fun, firstly from being lighter but also from having so much more energy. The first ride after a few months on this plan I breakfasted on a cheese omelette and went out and got 32 personal bests on Strava (see for yourself!)

Be wary of detractors who call it a faddy diet, there is so much truth in the statement that we can put a man on the moon but we can't agree on what we should and shouldn't eat.

Also, it isn't for everyone, we have to acknowledge that we all react differently to things. If you eat loads of carbs and are slim then you can cope with that diet and assuming you are healthy on the inside then great, carry on.

If however you eat carbs and are either carrying too much weight or struggle to keep to a weight, give it a try.

There is a belief that insulin resistance is the cause of most men getting bellies! As we eat carbs, the sugar in those foods causes insulin to be released which is your fat storing hormone. If you eat a lot of carbs then in some people your body can't cope and we are now calling this diabetes...which I believe is the true reason for the epidemic we can see at the moment.

My grandmother and my father all had or have diabetes but my father has been eating like this for a few months and is no longer testing as diabetic and with his doctors agreement is off his meds.

I don't post here often so if you disagree do a bit of research, you may be surprised what you find.

brand

I've been on a low carb/high fat (a.k.a ketogenic) lifestyle for 18 months now. Prior to starting this, I weighed around 81 kg (I'm 6ft) and it had taken me a couple of years to get down to that from around 87Kg. Virtually eliminating carbs (especially sugar) meant I lost 8 kg in 8 weeks, and after about 3 months, my weight stabilised at 70 kg, and my beer gut, which previously I couldn't get rid off, has gone.

I only switched after doing a lot of research and reading up about it, including some very technical books by Drs. Phinney & Volek which went into a lot of detail about the changes the body undergoes on a low carb lifestyle, and also about how much the food industry had pumped out the incorrect message in the last 40 years or more, by reducing fat and compensating for the resultant lack of taste by bulking up with various forms of sugar. There's also the naive view that eating fat means that fat is then deposited around the body and also raises cholesterol levels, which isn't the case. Sadly the UK medical industry is quite a few years behind the US, as in the States they're increasingly aware that carbs are the problem, not fat. In fact the diet was first used 100 years ago to help control epilepsy, but it's only recently that they've understood the changes in the brain chemistry as to why it reduces or stops seizures.

I can quite easily do a 100 mile ride at 16 mph and not need anything to eat anything at all, as burning fat is all the body needs. You don't, and in fact can't bonk, as you're not needing to rely on limited supplies of glycogen, which for anyone eating carbs means they have to keep eating. So that also means no more sticky gels when on the bike. And the fact I get to cook and eat with butter & cream is nice as well.
Carbs are good for you fat is bad for you! Okay it is simplistic but to suggest that eating a high fat diet is good is just as simplistic. Never has the food industry suggested eating a high carb diet because you are suggesting simple carbohydrates not complex as in potatoes or pasta (I love pasta) etc. Further more Fruit and vegetables contain simple carbohydrates. But with all the extras such as fibre etc they do not cause obesity. My favourite experiment was done on children. They were given 250ml of pure orange juice with breakfast. The next part of there experiment they were given the 6 oranges instead then have there normal breakfast. None managed it some were actually sick. Also why would a high complex carbohydrates diet be tasteless. A pasta sauce is definitely not tasteless. If a simple carbohydrate diet was tasteless why do people eat so much sugar? Because they like it. Will no doubt get back but have to walk my neighbours dogs and collect the 5 eggs from his chickens.... I may never empty my bowels again!!

Last edited:

400bhp

Guru
There is a belief that insulin resistance is the cause of most men getting bellies! As we eat carbs, the sugar in those foods causes insulin to be released which is your fat storing hormone. If you eat a lot of carbs then in some people your body can't cope and we are now calling this diabetes...which I believe is the true reason for the epidemic we can see at the moment.

Rubbish carbs, not good carbs.

And man got to the moon by making the US almost bankrupt.

400bhp

Guru
No, the carbohydrate resistance I am talking about applies to all carbs, I limit myself to 20-30 grams of good carbs per day, mainly from vegetables.

Well, sorry but that could apply to any food. To dismiss all carbs because they are relatively fat inducing and create insulin is wrong..

brand

It is insulin spikes that are the problem. Eating processed carbohydrates in large amounts in one sitting. I wonder if that includes beer and cider? I best go find out!

Top Bottom