Low gear and speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray316

Über Member
I've been watching Tour de France and now watching ride London on T.V.
One thing that I cannot understand and I'm sure someone will answer is the gears they use on flat grounds and speeds they get up to using them.
A lot of the cyclists seem to be using the big ring on the front and low gears 1 to 3 on the back and get some real speeds on these gears.
Now I use these gears a lot on flat grounds and I am peddling at a high cadence but don't get anywhere near the speeds they do.
The cyclists on T.V don't seem to be peddling as fast as I am but getting better speeds,
How do they do this , am I missing something here..

13 rider

Guru
Pros tend to ride with bigger chain ring on the front 53/39 compared to most peoples compacts 50/36 only three teeth but it makes a difference . Am they may be a bit fitted

Citius

Very few - if any - 'bespoke' cassettes around. OP - what bike are you riding and what gearing?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A lot of the cyclists seem to be using the big ring on the front and low gears 1 to 3 on the back and get some real speeds on these gears.
Are you sure they're in 1 to 3 on the back? I must admit, I've not been ogling the sprockets during the coverage.

Besides that, I agree with the above: the chainrings typically supplied on modern retail bikes aren't the current popular choices in races... Once upon a time, mass-market retail bikes were closer matches to what racers used. Readers of "Classic and Vintage" forum will know I've acquired a couple of 1980s bikes recently and the 10-speed came with a reasonable-ish 40-102" gearing, but the 3-speed also had 100+" top gear which left the bottom gear as a kneepopping 57"!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are you sure they're in 1 to 3 on the back? I must admit, I've not been ogling the sprockets during the coverage.
Just did a bit of maths and actually, even if they were using typical 52+42 on the front and one of Shimano's higher-geared standard 11-speed cassettes on the back (which is reasonable as the Surrey hills aren't really mountains), then the third-smallest would be 21 teeth, giving roughly 27"x52/21=67" which seems a reasonable gear on the flat, giving 20mph at 100rpm cadence. (I know that's only rough because the wheels aren't 27" any more...)

Top Bottom