Lycra- DIY repairs to your cycling tights for example. Anyone had a go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am interested in repairing 2 pairs of Lycra cycling tights that have a small hole in each pair. The sooner it is done the better, before the small hole renders the garment an item to throw away .

I have been looking on YT for tips. Apparently the type of thread to use for repairs is called "Wooly nylon thread". There are also patches available but I have not seen any yet. Will search later.

My main question at the moment is, 'has anyone had a go'? I may fail or I may succeed. Either way I am going to give it a try.

Edit: NOT Velcro. Sorry about the senior moment.!:rolleyes::banghead:

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I repair my stuff all the time. You just need normal cotton and you can 'darn' (loop) the hole shut.

FrothNinja

Veteran
You can use a good quality standard thread (like Dyneema, but you should be able to find a cheaper version). I would recommend a zigzag stitch on stretch fabrics - has worked for the last 30 years for me.
Sewing through the hook part of velcro takes a bit of practice and you will probably need a thimble and a very sharp needle.
If you are sewing up holes or rips in stretch material, I would advise using a patch of similar material as a backing and darn (like patching a sock) it and the hole to prevent fraying of the original fabric.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you are anywhere near a chandlers or sailmakers. You can use the material that they use to make sail numbers and classmark logos. Its like a sticky backed plastic and works a treat to repair bags and clothes. I use it all the time.

davidphilips

Veteran
Only my view but when cycling tights get worn its time to replace, main reason is have cycled behind a few cyclists with worn tights and had to discreetly tell them about there see through tights.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
If you have Velcro tights I’d just stick them together

I am interested in repairing 2 pairs of Velcro cycling tights that have a small hole in each pair. The sooner it is done the better, before the small hole renders the garment an item to throw away .

I have been looking on YT for tips. Apparently the type of thread to use for repairs is called "Wooly nylon thread". There are also patches available but I have not seen any yet. Will search later.

My main question at the moment is, 'has anyone had a go'? I may fail or I may succeed. Either way I am going to give it a try.

I think you might mean Lycra??

If you can't do it yourself there's local people who do this kind of thing. Drycleaners often have people or outdoor shops have people repairing kit - sometimes in house.

I know brands like Rapha repair too.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Needle and thread is all you need. It's not rocket science. If a seam comes loose, I just pass my kit to MrsF as she has more sewing machines that I have bikes.

Top Bottom