Making Gear Push (under bar) easier to operate on kids bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So they work properly.
But not with grease apparently.

roley poley

Über Member
I have the habit of running a pinch of grease down any new cable i fit but am willing to learn ..why only light oil?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
We'll it took longer than I thought! But we got there.

Still trying to decide if I am going to oil the new chain!

Don't oil the new chain, run it with it's out of factory lube until it needs a top up, then degrease property, and use Squirt or similar wax based lube.

faster

Über Member
I install gear cables dry, unless it's one of the Shimano ones that come pre lubricated.

If ever there's any suspicion of cable issues, I never bother lubricating - just replace the inner (with any stainless inner) and the short section of casing near the derailleur (with Shimano sp41 preferably) - a few quid at most and only a few minutes of work.

The casings near the handlebars last ages and can just be flushed out with wd40 whilst the inner is being changed.

Like a few others it seems, I'm of the opinion that greasing cables makes the shifting not quite as good and less reliable.

the snail

Guru
I install gear cables dry, unless it's one of the Shimano ones that come pre lubricated.

If ever there's any suspicion of cable issues, I never bother lubricating - just replace the inner (with any stainless inner) and the short section of casing near the derailleur (with Shimano sp41 preferably) - a few quid at most and only a few minutes of work.

The casings near the handlebars last ages and can just be flushed out with wd40 whilst the inner is being changed.

Like a few others it seems, I'm of the opinion that greasing cables makes the shifting not quite as good and less reliable.

Some cables have a plastic liner that might react with oil or grease, I don't think they're designed to be lubricated. I would suggest that the OP lubricates the derailleur pivots, and take the brake arms off and clean/grease the pivots too.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Some cables have a plastic liner that might react with oil or grease, I don't think they're designed to be lubricated. I would suggest that the OP lubricates the derailleur pivots, and take the brake arms off and clean/grease the pivots too.

Brakes are this week's job! And that's the plan.

Top Bottom