England : Cambridgeshire March to Ely

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Octet

Veteran
Hello people, how is everyone?

I'm looking to do my first semi-major ride since moving to the mainland, which I'm both looking forward to and I'm slightly nervous about.

As the title suggests, I'm planning on going from March to Ely (and obviously back again). I've punched the route into Google's mapping engine and it has returned the following;

March to Ely Cycling Route

Using Streetview the route doesn't look too bad, mainly small country roads which are very straight however having never cycled any great distance in the UK I don't really know if it's the best route. Driving I'd obviously take the A141 but I wouldn't want to get anywhere near that on a pushang.

The one bit which I'm probably going to be nervous about is the roundabout into Ely, crossing over the A10. Any advice? Holding a strong position, clear hand signals etc are probably the main ones?

Thanks!

RedRider

Pulling through
Hmmm, I went Ely to (near) March as part of a longer ride last year but only have experience of that one route we took so no extensive local knowledge. There were a lot of minor, straight roads. I'll look it up later and see if it jogs memories.

There is a cycle path (well in the UK sense at least, i.e. shared footpath, narrow, bumpy) from LtDownham to Ely. I usually use it on the MTB but not on the road bike, but if you are nervous you can just use the last bit (100 yards or so ) towards the A10 which is fine and then there is a traffic island in the middle of the A10 you can use to cross. It's fine going south but a bit of a hassle going north. The A10 does get busy, but it's usually ok to use the roundabout.
The rest of your route is fine. Hundred Foot (Welney to Pymoor) is bumpy and you might not want to pump up your tyres to 120psi.

Alternative route for the way back is Witchford (through the village) -> Sutton (new cycle path along the A142, mostly ok) -> Sutton Gault (bumpy, dirty, just about usable on road bike) -> Chatteris -> Wimblington. Some busy bits but nothing too bad if you avoid rush hour. March is probably the worst for traffic :-(

It's closed at the moment, but one of my favourite routes is left after Welney to Ten Mile Bank and then along the river to Littleport. Hardly ever see any cars on that road for, well, ten miles :-) Up to Denver/ Downham Market is similar.

Oh and if you need a cafe stop there is a pub in Welney or Welney Wildlife Centre and there are a couple of pubs in Lt Downham (and a village shop). In Ely go down to the river that's where all the best places are that are easy to find.

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
@alpine fenlander,

Thanks for the detailed information. I know my way around the centre of Ely so finding a good cafe there isn't an issue. I normally take the train in though, so it's useful to know where I can re-fuel en-route.

I do appreciate the info on road conditions, street view did show up a few rough patches but it's nice to have some first hand info. I'll probably need to re-stock my repair kit before I make the ride then!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The one bit which I'm probably going to be nervous about is the roundabout into Ely, crossing over the A10. Any advice? Holding a strong position, clear hand signals etc are probably the main ones?
Yeah, but usually you can just wait a bit and there'll be a gap.

I've ridden most of that route and it's OK - a bit lumpy on the run into Pymoor (to put it mildly). I've also ridden the National Byway to Chatteris and then Doddington Road / Wimblington Road into March, before the A142 cycle path was open - it's fairly pretty but unless you're deliberately building distance, I'd use the short cut described.

But if you're in March and you've got time this Saturday, ride up NCR63 (but use the B road through Friday Bridge to avoid some bad potholes) to Wisbech in good time for the 2pm Rose Fair parade. If you want to say hi to those of us who have ridden in from Lynn, then message me and I'll tell you where we usually park... ;) There's also a cyclist called Ray who will be on the Lions stall... say hi and tell him why and that might freak him out :laugh:

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
@mjray

Thank you for the further information, and the offer to meet you guys in Wisbech. Unfortunately I'm busy for the coming weekends and so I won't be making this ride until mid July at the earliest.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No worries @Octet - enjoy riding the fens and may you always have a tailwind. If you ever want to ride with us, the links in my sig... or we sometimes take the train to join the big Cambridge and London set pieces.

Top Bottom