Mass cooking of tomatoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

radger

Veteran
I had the best tomato crop I've ever had this year.
Seedlings shoved into big pots, fed rarely and left to get on with it on a NW-facing balcony (it gets sun from about 1pm)
The fruits are still ripening, so the plants are still going. I did move my peppers the other day to a south facing windowsill, but everything else is staying outside, including the lemon tree, for as long as possible.

Maz

Guru
Cheers for the info. My wife's got an old-fashioned shop sweetie jar filled to the brim with coriander seeds. It might be half full next time she sees it...

Sorry for messing up your thread, waffly.

Ahem, as you were.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Whilst I'm having a good crop of tomotoes from the very small greenhouse... all my outdoor ones have got blight... and are in the bin now. Even the ones in the greenhouse look like they are beginning to get a bit of rot too. As for squash the slugs have eatten every one of those... my carrots too when the way of the slug. On the whole I've had a bad year apart from cucombers... and spinach that doesn't need any help it just grows.

U

User482

summerdays said:
Whilst I'm having a good crop of tomotoes from the very small greenhouse... all my outdoor ones have got blight... and are in the bin now. Even the ones in the greenhouse look like they are beginning to get a bit of rot too. As for squash the slugs have eatten every one of those... my carrots too when the way of the slug. On the whole I've had a bad year apart from cucombers... and spinach that doesn't need any help it just grows.

I lost a few to rot (suspect the wet weather was to blame) but the real failure this year was my apples - I lost virtually the entire contents of 2 trees to scab. Extremely disheartening.

Maz said:
Cheers for the info. My wife's got an old-fashioned shop sweetie jar filled to the brim with coriander seeds. It might be half full next time she sees it...

Sorry for messing up your thread, waffly.

Ahem, as you were.

You've had some sensible advice here re coriander. Don't rely on a tub of plants lasting long though. It tends to run to seed quickly and it's surprising how much you get through with fresh herbs. You need to use them by the handful.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So, what else have you all been growing.....we've had.......

Loads of fantastic potatoes, courgettes, peas, strawberries, apples, celery, some lettuce, red cabbage, some broccoli with the peppers coming along and loads of toms (lots of varieties, but struggling to ripen). Garlic starting to grow and one or two other things - it's my wife's work - I just built and prepped the planting area....

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
summerdays;401410... all my outdoor ones have got blight... .[/QUOTE said:
Some of mine have got blight as well, The cool damp weather doesn't help, it weakens the plants resistance. I have had a few pounds of toms so far, but im not holding out too much hope for the rest.

longers

Legendary Member
I've made the base for some excellent curries with un-ripened end of season tomatoes in previous years.

jonesy

Guru
Patrick Stevens said:
You've had some sensible advice here re coriander. Don't rely on a tub of plants lasting long though. It tends to run to seed quickly and it's surprising how much you get through with fresh herbs. You need to use them by the handful.

My attempt to grow coriander in the garden didn't last long: within a few hours of planting it out all the slugs in the neighbourhood were converging on it and had eaten it to the ground by the following morning. They would probably have tasted nicely marinaded, but I didn't feel like doing the experiment...

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

mjones said:
My attempt to grow coriander in the garden didn't last long: within a few hours of planting it out all the slugs in the neighbourhood were converging on it and had eaten it to the ground by the following morning. They would probably have tasted nicely marinaded, but I didn't feel like doing the experiment...

One area where The Laydeez have proved to be wonderful: pest control. Great at rooting out snails & slugs & devouring with relish and then turning this into the most delicious eggs! Hurrah for hens! :smile:

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

Uncle Mort said:
Yeah, but it's the enthusiastic "rooting out" bit that causes problems as well.

Aye, mine are only allowed in the veg I want to keep under close supervision! Mind you, stick them on a bit I want grubbed up, and I have seriously happy hens :biggrin:

Top Bottom