memory stick urgent help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ColinJ said:
I think this is a warning for people who use USB drives for backup purposes. If you are going to do that, it might be an idea to buy one for each day of the week and that way if one goes wrong, at least you should have another recent backup. They are really cheap these days.

I've started emailing myself backups, so there is always a copy stored online. If you do that and are worried about security, you could encrypt the files.

Can't quite match that, but I have 4 datasticks, each fulfilling a different function, each backed up on rewriteable dvd elsewhere as well as existing on a computer hard drive. May sound like overkill, but not lost any data since I started doing it this way. USB drives are convenient, but I've had way more problems with them than with dvds or hard drives.

Good luck, Willow. The Knoppix Live cd idea is interesting - I've dabbled with Knoppix, but have never thought of using it in this way.

OP
OP
W

Willow

satans budgie said:
This may take a moment to set up.

Download a copy of Knoppix Live CD

Create a folder on the C drive of your laptop called recovery.

Close down the PC

Place pen drive into a working USB slot

Boot your laptop using the live CD with the Pen drive in place . This may take a couple of minutes as the data on the CD is loaded into the RAM to give a virtual linux desktop.

Once loaded, if the USB drive is servicable you should be able see the data. You may be able to then migrate the data from the USB drive to the recovery folder.

I have used this method in the past with a 80% sucess rate.

Best of luck

sorry to be thick but which of their options am I going for here, I'm a bit confused by the website.

OP
OP
W

Willow

A happy ending

I went into office to download programme as advised but before doing so though I'd just check I hadn't saved the data I needed. Ha clever old me there was all my salary data as needed. Some of the other bits weren't there but I can get them off email attachments yipee.,,,, off to get some extra memory sticks now.

thanks all for your help.

Top Bottom