Mercian Strada Speciale 853 Pro Team

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
At long last my Mercian frame turned up yesterday after a long wait (I ordered it back in January)
Made out of 853 pro Team grade Reynolds steel. The paintwork is Black pearl with a Blue intense pearl headtube and barbers pole with the lugs lined in silver. I also asked them to supply and fit a Chris King headset.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Detailing on the Lugs

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ever since I ordered the frame back in January I have been buying all the parts I need to build it up

image.jpg

I wanted this bike to be a mix of classic and modern parts, so I'm using Ultegra 10speed with an SL crankset, Ritchey classic bars, stem and seat post, ltd edition Brooks Swallow Blue leather saddle and matching leather bar tape.

Hand built wheels, H Plus Son Rims, Royce Hubs Continental Grand Prix Classic tyres

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I started to build it up last night

image.jpg

image.jpg

I love the classic looking Arundel bottle cages
image.jpg

Just the bottom bracket and crankset for me to fit then I'm taking over to my LBS for the cabling for brakes and gears to be fitted as I don't have a clue (or the tools) how to do it. Then I'll put on the bar tape.
I'll post more pics up over he next couple of days

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
OMF'kinG
That's awesome ... and well worth the wait just looking at it. Getting excited about my own arrival in Dec.

I'm liking the mix of trad and new, I've gone the same route: Same bars, stem, seatpost. Archetypes (mine are silver) on Silver hubs (I've a lot of silver!).
Looking forward to that first test-ride report.

As an aside, it's bloody great to see people going the custom build route (as well as steel frames) again. I just can't get excited about the latest whizz-bang plastic bikes anymore beloved of the Sportive crowd. I'm hoping that as the market matures, custom builds will grow for several reasons. Firstly, people will figure out the limitations of their existing MAMIL machines and will want something better suited to their needs, people will want also want to have something that stands out from the crowds for their cash and thirdly, the rose-tinted retro-revival will gather apace.
It doesn't have to cost huge money either. There are a lot of cost-effective frames off-the peg before going the whole custom-frame-build route and if you go for a full custom frame you can always recycle kit from other bikes in the first instance to keep the cost reasonable.

I urge anyone interested in bicycles to visit the bespoke bicycle show, to see what creative imagination exists out there!

http://www.bespoked.cc/

JAY! HURRY UP AND GET HER FINISHED!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Wow. A thing of great beauty.

Top Bottom