Microwaved Jacket Spuds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I use my microwave mostly for porridge these days. Ready meals are fine in a microwave, but they started to pall after years of eating them. I agree about baked potatoes being much nicer done in the oven, but I reckon you have to bake for about an hour and a half.

Crankarm

Guru
You guys obviously don't have the right sort of microwave. You need to put a medium large baking spud in for 30-32 mins in an 850W E rated oven/grill combo oven. For the last 8-9 mins turn over the spud and cook for remaining time for absolute perfection. You can increase or decrease this remaining time by a minute or two either way. :biggrin: Remove the perfectly baked and crusty jacket spud from the microwave, cut in half length ways, make cuts in the internal potato of each half then apply a liberal amount of butter/margarine and a sprinkling of salt to what ever suits your fancy. Allow to soak in for a few mins and so you don't burn your tongue. Then enjoy :tongue:.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
snapper_37 said:
Which is what we do. You just don't expect to pay a few quid and the spud is shite :tongue:

Baked spuds are always simply shite, a waste of perfectly good topping. Go and do something more interesting :biggrin: :biggrin:

Plax

Guru
My microwave is used pretty much only to heat up my microwave hottie before bed time. I also ocassionally make porridge in it or warm some milk up for a hot choccie.

Arch

Married to Night Train
puddleglum said:
I do my scrambled egg in the microwave. It works, sort of, and saves scuzzing up a pan, thus avoiding creating dirty pots.

Argh! My Mum does scrambled egg in the microwave, it seems to take longer than in the pan, and if you use a non-stick pan, all you have to do is give it a quick rinse straightaway to get the worst off, then leave water in to wash it up afterwards. My Mum still ends up with a jug to wash up anyway and her method means you have to open the door to stir it every few seconds anyway, or you get an omelette.

puddleglum

Arch said:
Argh! My Mum does scrambled egg in the microwave, it seems to take longer than in the pan, and if you use a non-stick pan, all you have to do is give it a quick rinse straightaway to get the worst off, then leave water in to wash it up afterwards. My Mum still ends up with a jug to wash up anyway and her method means you have to open the door to stir it every few seconds anyway, or you get an omelette.

I just check on it every 30 seconds or so. Sometimes it comes out perfect, and if I over do it, I pretend it was always meant to be an omelette anyway, one that kind of fell to bits.
There you go, the Practical Puddle Guide to Culinary Compromise :biggrin:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I put cereal bars in(the ones with the foil wrapper) un opened to heat up. They taste much better warm and the microwave even opens them up for you and gives you a little light show!!!
They dont need long in there either:becool:

I haven't used my microwave in years. It's just not worth using it.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I heard that if you have your head near the door when you just open the door when in use, the microwaves that are still in the microwave just seep out and will slowly cook your brain if you do this too many times.
Be warned!

Flyingfox

I've got a microwave that grills at the same time so baked tatties are pretty good. Mainly use it for defrosting and reheating though, saying that it does do brilliant custard.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
threebikesmcginty said:
Agree on the spuds - micro is disgusting but porridge can only be cooked in a pan - only takes 5 minutes. Tried that oats-so-simple stuff once - friggin horrible :rolleyes:
Threebikes... my own version of porridge is even simpler, and uses real prridge, and a microwave... before i go to bed, I put porridge in a bowl, add water, cover and leave till morning. I get up, place bowl in mikey for a minute, stir, and give it another 30 second... yum yum, and very simple :angry: The 'overnight' bit is probably not necessary, but it seems to cook more betterer, like.

Apart from that, I only use the mikey for heating stuff up. I do the spud thing, though... coupla minutes in the mikey, then smear with olive oil and sea salt and bung in the oven...:sad:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
To reduce the amount of time your spuds need in a conventional oven, stick a couple of forks deep into each one.

This conducts the heat into the middle, so it cooks from the inside out as well as outside in.

Really works.

(Remember though, that the fork will be *%@~ing hot).

Top Bottom