Milan-San Remo *SPOILER*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skip Madness

andy_wrx said:
And I shall have to write to IsleOfMan Today and apologise for doubting them earlier :thumbsup:
http://www.iomtoday.co.im/sport/Debutant-Cavendish-wins-MilanSan-Remo.5094496.jp
I was reading their preview of the race earlier on and it was surprisingly well-informed for a mainstream piece, save for this rather odd bit:
Isle of Man Today said:
The race is one of a handful of monuments, historic single day classic races, which are prized as much as winning stages of the Tour.

Milan-San Remo, Paris-Roubaix, Tour of Flanders, Liege-Bastogne-Liege and the Amstel Gold Race are known as the spring classics and no rider can be considered a true great without winning at least one before their career is done.

At the end of the season there are the autumn classics - the Tour of Lombardy and Paris-Tours.
I like the Amstel Gold Race, but surely it is meant to be the Flèche Wallonne in that list. I cannot believe anyone ranks the Amstel as highly as the Flèche or Liège-Bastogne-Liège.

One other bit:
Isle of man Today said:
Of all the single day classics, it is Milan-San Remo which is best suited to Cavendish's abilities. If he wins only one in his career, it is likely to be this one.
The exciting bit for me is that Paris-Tours is even better suited to Cavendish than Milano-Sanremo. It is not presumptive to say that at least one career victory in Paris-Tours is a probability. The way he has learned to suffer over various parcours also leads me to believe that one day - and being realistic not very soon, but one day - Paris-Roubaix could be within his grasp. I do not think it is getting carried away to believe that it is possible some years down the line.

Hugo15

Über Member
Great win by Cav. I was screaming at the TV as he started to reel Hausler in.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I have only just got back to see this - a wonderful win! I knew he would do it if he was in the final shakedown, it was just whether he would be able to stay with it if someone really pushed it on the last climbs. The fact that he did means that, as he says, he is becoming much more than 'just a sprinter'... now, staying with a bunch on some fast hills is different from staying with a race over days over mountains, but I still think he is a major tour points winner of the future. Not this year perhaps, but sooner rather than later.

dudi

Blimey... just watched it on the V+ recorded thinggy... that was a bit of a close call!

Congratulations to Cav, he suprised me... didn't think he'd do it myself... good on him!

Keith Oates

Janner
Brilliant, he really is one of the very best in the field at the moment and let's hope it continues for some time to come. Today he proved he is a top sprinter +, to be able to take that win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave5N

Über Member
Flying_Monkey said:
I have only just got back to see this - a wonderful win! I knew he would do it if he was in the final shakedown, it was just whether he would be able to stay with it if someone really pushed it on the last climbs. The fact that he did means that, as he says, he is becoming much more than 'just a sprinter'... now, staying with a bunch on some fast hills is different from staying with a race over days over mountains, but I still think he is a major tour points winner of the future. Not this year perhaps, but sooner rather than later.

That's right - and all of a sudden the BC British Protour team project looks possible. Remember, Cav leads the way, but there is strength in depth coming through. Two weeks ago I watched Andy Tennant destroy the E12 field in a chipper which was his second race of the day - he had earlier got tenth in the Soens - and he can't even get on the programme.

Pro cycling on Britain is stating to burst up with BC's performance programme. Personally, I'm lovin' it.

Cav is very close to Rod Ellingworth and his selection - whichever way - for the track worlds is great - keeps him close to.

mondobongo

Über Member
Just watched the highlights am so glad I dodged the spoilers and waited to see it.
What a fantastic win for Cav thought he might have a chance but always immediately told myself no its just for the experience this year. Absolutely fantastic watching him set off to reel in Haussler.

nilling

Über Member
The co-commentator on Eursport gave it to Haussler though to be fair it was from a head-on shot and there was some road-advertising before the line. It was not till they saw the overhead shots that Cav had won.

But blimey how much distance did Cav make up - Well done matey!!! Made my day :biggrin:

yenrod

Cavendish has really put himself in my books (if my book is anything :angry: ) to come from behind and win is exceptional more impresive than his TDF wins in my opinion !

Though the 'ramps' up the cippressa & poggio were anti-climaxes !

All the best to him.

forty-two

any links to clips ? Yer I know I could google it but why do that when I can ask...seems so much more personal.

yenrod

Still floored by Cav. on that win.

He must be floating in the stratosphere ! ! ! after that win. - amazing.

He has 1 hell of a future !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He will win a flanders classic in the future. And i also feel a small tour too ! who knows..

Dave5N

Über Member
yenrod said:
Still floored by Cav. on that win.

He must be floating in the stratosphere ! ! ! after that win. - amazing.

He has 1 hell of a future !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He will win a flanders classic in the future. And i also feel a small tour too ! who knows..

Who can beat him for the maillot Vert now? He's proved he can get over the hills, and with 200m to go he is astonishingly, fantastically, devastating!

Top Bottom