Milk, or the lack of..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
I only drink UHT skimmed, I see no problem with my supply lol
Same here. Stocks of the budget brand at Tesco have been a bit intermittent, but it's been available at Sainsburys throughout, and there's still the full price stuff at a pinch.
Skimmed... Bleurgh!
I thought skimmed milk tasted pretty ropey at first, but after drinking it for a while it was the whole milk that tasted horrible and sickly. It's just a matter of what you're used to.

Same here. Stocks of the budget brand at Tesco have been a bit intermittent, but it's been available at Sainsburys throughout, and there's still the full price stuff at a pinch.

I thought skimmed milk tasted pretty ropey at first, but after drinking it for a while it was the whole milk that tasted horrible and sickly. It's just a matter of what you're used to.

Aldi or Lidl for me.

I do like a glass of full fat blue, I'll occasionally buy one of those really small 350ml blue cartons as a treat but red is the way forward for me.

presta

Guru
But if everybody turned vegan overnight, almost all farm animals would have to be slaughtered, because we would need the grazing land for growing food crops. Obviously, we aren't going to get the situation where everybody would turn vegan overnight, but even over a period, it would lead to similar.

The reason beef is so environmentally damaging is that it takes ~30 acres of land to produce the same calories as you can produce from one acre of vegetables. Close a beef farm, and 97% of the land becomes redundant for food production, and available for other uses.

Same for me with semi-skimmed. Whole too rich, skimmed too watery.
I tend to defer to the judgement of my furry quality control officers. :blush:
Ours drinks corporation champagne, in theory. In reality, she sups from any grotty container she can find outside, mainly plant saucers and the water feature...

Same for me with semi-skimmed. Whole too rich, skimmed too watery.

Ours drinks corporation champagne, in theory. In reality, she sups from any grotty container she can find outside, mainly plant saucers and the water feature...

Madam Pearl used to drink from the porcelain throne...

IMG_0051_small.jpg

Mesdames Poppy and Lexi have a dog water dispenser (one of those Torus things), because Madam Poppy likes paddling, and she can't tip this one up as it's too big.

Alex321

Veteran
The reason beef is so environmentally damaging is that it takes ~30 acres of land to produce the same calories as you can produce from one acre of vegetables. Close a beef farm, and 97% of the land becomes redundant for food production, and available for other uses.

While beef is the worst meat, and even the best meat (chicken) is not as good as most plants, the difference is not that high.

Most of the figures I can find suggest more like 5 times than 30 times.
http://myweb.astate.edu/jpratte/activities/activity8-1.htm

https://www.waldeneffect.org/blog/Calories_per_acre_for_various_foods/

Reactions: C R

DRM

Guru
And I’m quite sure the vegans will be highly delighted when “The knacker man” calls to dispose of all the milk cows which are no good for meat either, when they’ve stopped milk production

FishFright

More wheels than sense
And I’m quite sure the vegans will be highly delighted when “The knacker man” calls to dispose of all the milk cows which are no good for meat either, when they’ve stopped milk production

But they will be delighted when they aren't replaced.

It must be pointing out the bleedin' obvious day.

How many acres of land does it take to grow 10 bowls of spinach for everyone to replace the one small steak to get the same amount of iron? What I mean is to match the nutrients we have evolved to need is actually not easy from a vegan diet. We are omnivores and need a bit of everything. I think outright conversion to veganism is the wrong ideal. We should just be cutting back the worst meats for the planet / best meats for nutrients not cutting out.

BTW pea milk replacement has the most nutrients value and is better for you than cow's milk for much of the main nutrients in it. I think there's another substitute that's higher than cow's milk but pea is the best option for nutrition. It was on my windows weather news tab this week.

Top Bottom