Mixed car & bike commute from Sussex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pgd

Veteran
Hi all,
Although post-pandemic I typically only go into the office twice a week, the train fare into London is still a considerable outlay I could do without. It's 30 miles each way which, whilst fine for a leisure ride, is too far for a regular commute really (especially as the nights draw in). So I was wondering if it might be feasible to drive & park somewhere in outer South London and reduce the cycling down to ~15 miles each way. (Work facilities are fine, that's not an issue.)

Does anyone here do anything similar, or have any tips for where to park or routes to avoid? I'd be coming up the A22 from Sussex but I'd rather avoid cycling in the Caterham valley, so maybe Sanderstead/ Selsdon/ Shirley?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Sharky

Guru
Only 30 miles each way?

Derek Cottington was well known to commute 40 miles each way in the early 70's.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...ingtons-disallowed-25-mile-record-1971-332192

Must confess though, I did a 23 mile each way commute for a while and it gets you fitter, but after a while, it just tires you out.

Hi all,
Although post-pandemic I typically only go into the office twice a week, the train fare into London is still a considerable outlay I could do without. It's 30 miles each way which, whilst fine for a leisure ride, is too far for a regular commute really (especially as the nights draw in). So I was wondering if it might be feasible to drive & park somewhere in outer South London and reduce the cycling down to ~15 miles each way. (Work facilities are fine, that's not an issue.)

Does anyone here do anything similar, or have any tips for where to park or routes to avoid? I'd be coming up the A22 from Sussex but I'd rather avoid cycling in the Caterham valley, so maybe Sanderstead/ Selsdon/ Shirley?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Ive done it in my last two jobs.
When in Newark I cycled to small villages (17-8miles from the town) In one I left in a pub car park that was always empty and didn't have any 'customers only signs', in other villages I just found good places to park.

When I worked in Cambridge I parked in the St Ives park & ride site which was free and cycled the 15miles to the CC or I had the back up of the guided bus on other days.

With my car its a case of taking the front wheel off. Quick Release and rim brakes is far better for that than through axles and discs. Just put the front wheel in (QR open) and whilst holding the brake pulled (which aligns the wheel that last little bit) close the QR.

OP
OP
Pgd

Pgd

Veteran
Well, I gave this a go earlier this week (Tuesday, before all the downpours!!).

Logistically, it was pretty successful I'd say. Car journey was as predicted on Google Maps, parking was fine, bike fits fine in the car with front wheel off. Obviously the transitions were slow, especially at the office end (I'd forgotten how the basement elevator worked, where the showers were, some minor toiletries etc.... plus I'm a prolific faffer at the best of times) but that would get better with practice. First time on a bike in South London for around 7 years, since I moved out to Sussex: loved it, proper nostalgia.

Pros:
  • Cost!! (obviously)
  • Exercise & "fresh" air, wakes you up ready for the working day etc.
  • I genuinely love urban cycling, seeing so many others on bikes, being able to vary your route, hills vs sprints etc.
Cons:
  • Journey time: around 35mins longer each way (see below), meaning an earlier start and later return.
  • No checking emails/reading reports on the train: arguably an upside, but I've found it useful so many times, and it often means I have a less intense working day overall, so for me personally it's a negative
  • The driving part. Yes, it went to plan, but driving still sucks, especially in morning rush hour in autumn. Plus I'm aware I'm just adding to the problem by driving solo when I could be on public transport.
Timings:
  • Mixed-mode: 45-50min drive + 60min cycle + 20mins faffing = ~130mins
  • Train (bike to station): 15min cycle + 65min train + 15min walk = ~95mins
Will I do it again? Yes, I think so. Not every time, but I'll keep it in the mix.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Well done for giving it a go. I've done vaguely similar with Oxford and a Brompton, which is obviously smaller-scale than your journey (I'm doing 13 miles in the car, 8 on the bike each way) and thankfully sounds like it involves less traffic as to my destination in the car it's usually a non-issue.

Journey time is little different between the setup on the bike and the utterly hateful orbit all the way around the outskirts of the city in the car since the main ring road has basically become no-go after work was started on one of the major round abouts.

I'd call it a net win; enormously so from the perspectives of mental and physical health as well as fuel saved and reduced wear on the car.. Although it'll take me a long time to recoup the purchase price of the bike / gear from fuel alone (can't really quantify the reduced wear).
Like yourself I'm not really looking forward to the winter however, and I think the roundabout work is due to be completed soon so might stick my toe in the water in the car when that's finished and the weather's become really grotty.

Last edited:

Bristolian

I wouldn't want to do it these days - thankfully I am now retired - but back in the 1980's I had a daily commute of 28 miles each way and developed a routine to mix the car and bike. I did this for about 5 years in all weathers.
Monday morning - drive into the office with the bike in the boot
Monday evening - ride bike home after work
Tuesday morning - ride into work
Tuesday evening - drive the car home, leaving the bike in work
Wednesday morning - drive into the office
Wednesday evening - ride the bike home
Thursday morning - bike into the office
Thursday evening - drive the car home with the bike in the boot
Friday - drive the car both ways

OP
OP
Pgd

Pgd

Veteran
Doing this once-a-week has gotten me a total of ~110miles for the month, by far my highest January total since I lived in South London. Very pleased with that. Journey times have been amazingly consistent, given the general unpredictability of traffic (and even with some local road closures!). I plan to extend the cycling part once there's a bit more light, and try to do some complete "bike in, train back; reverse next day" commutes around midsummer.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's good progress. 30 miles each way is a big chunk of time out of the day on a bike. Realistically, it's a good two hours riding plus getting changed at each end - adds 5 hours to the day. What's your options for 'poor weather' ?

I'm in the office 3-4 days a week and cycle it, no matter what (unless ill like now - so I WFH) but it's 10 miles each way which is an ideal commute. It's about 45 minutes each way, and is quicker than the car or train when I add in the walk to/from the station. It also saves about £8 per day - fuel and 'cheap' parking.

I can't really say the savings add up, because you do spend it on bike 'stuff', but you are enjoying it, rather than dreading it !

What does it save you in cost each day ?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Great to hear your getting on with the commute. How are you finding it and what is your daily ride now?
Journey times have been amazingly consistent, given the general unpredictability of traffic

This in spades. It's always about the same time, give or take a few minutes either way, what ever the conditions or traffic. Where you are slowed in one place you seem to make it up in another.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Doing this once-a-week has gotten me a total of ~110miles for the month, by far my highest January total since I lived in South London. Very pleased with that. Journey times have been amazingly consistent, given the general unpredictability of traffic (and even with some local road closures!). I plan to extend the cycling part once there's a bit more light, and try to do some complete "bike in, train back; reverse next day" commutes around midsummer.

Great work! I can concur with all of that; the consistency of journey time being one aspect I'd not expected but is still very welcome.

I was skeptical about making it through the whole winter on the bike. However, while we're not out of the woods yet / I've been lucky that it's generally either been cold or wet but not both (so could have been a lot worse) I've not once thought "sod it, it's that grim I'll take the car".

Your post inspired me to look at my own rides over this period and it's been a bit of a eye opener tbh:

Winter '21: 0 miles
Dec: 0 miles
Jan: 0 miles

Winter '22: 93 miles
Dec: 62 miles
Jan: 31 miles

Winter '23: 474 miles
Dec: 181 miles
Jan: 293 miles

I'd be lying if I said this winter hasn't been hard; however my mental and physical health would doubless have been so much worse if I wasn't getting the regular rides :smile:

Top Bottom