Mobile phone/driving government consultation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
On a busy road, how will the camera equipment know which vehicle the transmission is coming from? What if it detects my phone, or my passenger's, automatically polling for mail while I'm scratching my ear?

On the roads are drive I dont need any fancy detection equipment. You see them coming towards you. Its obvious they are the phone. Try looking for yourself. Here's a tip. Look for cars with only the driver in it. I rarely see a driver using a mobile when there is someone else in the car. Maybe it is boredom that causes it.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
There is no phone call that is so urgent that you can't pull of the road, turn off the engine, and call the person back.

I agree with your post except the above bit. Some calls in life are that important. But then they are also so important as to make a £1000 fine and a ban insignificant too.

Fortunately, few of us ever have to take that kind of call.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
On the roads are drive I dont need any fancy detection equipment. You see them coming towards you. Its obvious they are the phone. Try looking for yourself. Here's a tip. Look for cars with only the driver in it. I rarely see a driver using a mobile when there is someone else in the car. Maybe it is boredom that causes it.
As a London commuter I do see it, often. My point was about the best way to deal with the problem.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why is the consultation for hand-held phones only? Hasn't it been shown that it's talking that's the problem, and hands free calling is dangerous too? Shouldn't they at least consider handsfree?
Probably because you get into a whole lot more difficulty trying to enforce that and there's a lot of hands-free calling equipment sold so there would be a lot of lobbying. It probably should be dealt with, but let's get a grip on the worse and easier problem of handheld calling first.

Oh well, at least the St Albans copycat was parked: http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/loca...-guilty-of-outraging-public-decency-1-7181632

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
It probably should be dealt with, but let's get a grip on the worse and easier problem of handheld calling first.
Easier, perhaps, but not worse in my opinion. The problem is not the holding of the phone, it's the disengagement with the task of driving. Not based on research, just my observation, typing / texting is more dangerous as the eyes are distracted as well as the brain. I think it is at least as widespread as voice calling. I see it as much on motorways as I do in slow moving rush hour traffic.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Easier, perhaps, but not worse in my opinion. ... typing / texting is more dangerous as the eyes are distracted as well as the brain.
Well, yes, but I was talking about handheld calling being easier to address and worse than handsfree. I suspect texting and app usage are also more dangerous than handsfree calling because at least one hand is occupied as well. So at least we agree there's stuff to be worried about before handsfree calling...

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Easier, perhaps, but not worse in my opinion. The problem is not the holding of the phone, it's the disengagement with the task of driving. Not based on research, just my observation, typing / texting is more dangerous as the eyes are distracted as well as the brain. I think it is at least as widespread as voice calling. I see it as much on motorways as I do in slow moving rush hour traffic.

I would agree with that. But spotting people committing that offence is far more difficult than spotting them talking on the photo. A simple photograph of someone using the phone whist driving would prove the offence.

A camera set up in a car to take a photograph of each car coming towards you could be used. I am sure the Technology exists.

Using marked police vehicles would be of no use. Civillians on commission, would be a cheap effective and lucrative way to police it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Nope - I've seen them sitting side by side chatting on their mobiles rather than to each other.

But I agree they are easy to spot, even those who jade it in their lap, there is the glances up and down, and depending on how absorbed in it they are, it may be more down than up.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Using marked police vehicles would be of no use.

Drivers modify their behaviour when they see a marked car and such a presence deters and allows prosecution of other offences too. There is, of course, a strong role for something more covert but hearts and minds won't be changed with an approach that can be spun as sneaky. I'd argue that drink driving would not have been reduced to the same extent, nor attitudes changed, if the enforcement could have been done by privatised contractors.

Civillians on commission, would be a cheap effective and lucrative way to police it.

Good law enforcement isn't cheap, nor should it be lucrative, especially for the likes of G4S. You know why.

Using marked police vehicles would be of no use.

.... and very, very naughty

When Manchester did this using Police cars with video to censure bad driving the bleating of the usual "otherwise law abiding" motorist lobby started

1. Marked Police Cars are dangerous as they cause emergency braking when seen
2. Marked Police Cars cause drivers to divert attention form their driving as they are "forced" to look for these vehicles instead of paying attention to the road, killing thousands each year
3. By issuing fines, points and prosecuting the Police are alienating the "otherwise law abiding motorist" and failing to engage with this group

Top Bottom