Mont Ventoux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
Hi all,
Anyone out there ridden Mont Ventoux? I drove up it while I was on holiday in August, and was inspired by the constant stream of men' women and kids climbing via the Bedoin route. Made me wish I had my bike with me (MTB at the time). When I got home, I got straight on the net and bought myself a nice new Felt F95 and promised myself I'd ride to the top of Ventoux before I was 50 (19 months). First time back on a road bike for about 30 years was an eye opener, but thoroughly enjoyable too. I'm planning to go back down to Avignon in late April with a few mates for a week of cycling and a crack at Ventoux. We're jumping straight in at the deep end and doing the Bedoin route and I'm hoping for about 2 hours for the 22km and 1600 metres height gain. Anyone done this route and how long did it take? Also, I'm planning to make it a circular ride and descend via the road down to Malaucene. Anyone know of any nasty surprises on this descent? Any advice welcomed.
Here's our video of the Malaucene descent - the first of three descents from the summit that day during our completion of the Cingles de Mont Ventoux:-

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

Ive done it a few times :thumbsup:

Its not that bad if you catch it on a good day. How it is, is so dependent on the weather, more so than any other climb I have ever done.

The wind and/or heat can be a real issue. Perhaps if you are not so confident you could give yourself a few days in the area and tackle it on a good day..but sods law states that the best days will be just before you get there and just after you leave.

The descent to Malaucene is not that technical, in fact I think managed 52 mph down it and I am a very cautious descender.

Enjoy the ride anyway...and dont forget to drink plenty of the local vino!
We'll be down there for a week in April and probably again in early September, staying just outside Avignon, so with fairly easy access to Ventoux we should be able to monitor the weather and go for it when conditions look good.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

Sorry to hijack this, but oneday i wish to do this solo, does anyone have arough idea how much accomodation is in the area?
There's loads of places to stay in the area Jack. We're staying in a house about 30km's from Ventoux that sleeps up to eight and we're only paying just over £500 for the week in late April. There's loads of smaller hotels in the villages around the region too. Get yourself on Trip Advisor and have a look fella.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

Here's our video of the Malaucene descent - the first of three descents from the summit that day during our completion of the Cingles de Mont Ventoux:-

Loving your video! That descent looks awesome and has ramped up my excitement for our trip in April.

Top Bottom