Montage's fixed bike project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Cheers for the offer 4F, but I've just opened the lidl tool kit (which I bought for my dad and brother for this christmas hohoho) and there is a tool in there which looks like it does the job - they won't notice if I give it a little clean afterwards! Thanks 4F, you've been a great help - I'll give you a shout if my tool doesn't do the job.

LBS wanted £25 for the BB and £15 to fit it! pffffft.

No problem, That will work fine, it's the same tool kit I got

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
A UN54 at 110mm is what I have to give the right chainline on my SA 3 speed hub, £11.99 at CRC:-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=17473

fitting it is very easy, just remember the drive side(non plastic cup) screws in anti clockwise

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
fixeddone005.jpg

fixeddone006.jpg

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
seat is a tad too high and the chain is a little slack, but it rides well :biggrin:

I'll be putting on better pedals when I have some, and I lost one of the silver chainset dust caps :sad: So replaced with the only other ones I had available, black ones - looks wierd

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Took it for a spin, rides smoothly, but I some new brake pads would make the world of difference, possibly even new brakes

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The chain is very slack - makes a hell of difference on SS or fixed. What size is that front chainring BTW? Looks quite small, but it may just be the angle of the photograph or something...

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
The chain is very slack - makes a hell of difference on SS or fixed. What size is that front chainring BTW? Looks quite small, but it may just be the angle of the photograph or something...

aye that pic was pre ride - tightened the chain up after. I am running a 42/22.

Although it will be great around campus etc, fixed was a bloody stupid idea with dodgy knees and the hills round lancaster - they are monsters!

PpPete

Legendary Member
aye that pic was pre ride - tightened the chain up after. I am running a 42/22.

Although it will be great around campus etc, fixed was a bloody stupid idea with dodgy knees and the hills round lancaster - they are monsters!

take a different one after christmas?
n+1 at uni as well as at home?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
With a smallish outlay you could have yourself a spare rear wheel with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed. If you've got a 42t chainring then you could put another 22t cog on and that would give you 39/52/69 gear inches and the ability to use the same chain etc, so just a wheel swap. Use the one of the new DT shifters for SA hubs, cable ties for the cable routing and it's easy to put on/take off.

It would add weight to the rear end, I believe they're about 1.3kg, but your knees would thank you for the lower gears.

e-rider

crappy member
I like the blue tyres with black rims - looks smart - perhaps doesn't match the retro frame but IMO looks even better than some old silver rims.

Jezston

Über Member
Hello, just came across this thread. Twice!

(sorry)

Those rims are WONDERFUL. Reading through I thought they were going to be pure black, but the silver sides make them look seriously, seriously nice.

May I ask what they are?

Funny as I had planned to get VERY deep section rims on my next bike, but then realised deep vee rims are for wannabee c*nts ;)

Those are spot on. Deep, but without posery gaudiness.

Top Bottom