1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting bottle on a frame with no eyelets

Discussion in 'Technical Know How' started by montage, 12 Jun 2012.

1. montage

montage God Almighty

I don't have any eyelets on my bike to screw in bottle cages, and I consider thirst and important issue to address - especially as I might be taking this singlespeed bike touring in the near future.

At the moment my options seem limited to the behind the saddle mounts such as these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/minoura-sbh-300-dual-bottle-cage-bracket/ but do you have any cheap ideas to stick a bottle cage on the frame?

Riding with a camelback is another option I would rather try to avoid,

Thanks!!
  2. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine

Advert
    Wrap inner tube / tape round the frame and then use jubilee clips to hold the bottle cage?
    tyred likes this.
  3. mcshroom

mcshroom Solar Powered Mushroom

Halfords do some plastic zip-tie type things that have bottle cage mounts built in. I've got a set on my my raleigh - I seem to remember they were only a few quid.
  4. albion

albion Senior Member

Wilkinsons do a cheap one which mounts both ways.

However it looks flimsy so I'd certainly add some inner tube to make it last more than a week.
  5. Nigel-YZ1

Nigel-YZ1 Über Member

Second vote for protective wrap + jubilee clips. Still solid and attached after 30 years on my old Raleigh Merlin.
  6. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Weathervane

I like the retro look of handlebar mounted bottles. I appreciate though that handlebars can get a bit cluttered, what with computers, lights, etc.
  7. Red Light

Red Light Guest

8. montage

montage God Almighty

Thanks for the suggestions, a few great ideas out there!
  9. PpPete

PpPete Veteran

The VIP Elite ones (Halfords & other places per Numbnuts link) are OK.
    Put a few wraps of insulating tape around the frame first though, as on metal they seem to rotate around however tight you do them.
    Some cages need longer bolts than those supplied, but you don't want them too long. The wraps of tape help protect the frame if bolts are a fraction too long. If a fraction too short a tiny piece of blu-tak can help hold the nut "up" so the bolt thread can engage.
  10. musa

musa Über Member

Zefal gizmo is what I had but stupidly mine are big. If you measure your frame and want a pair Lete know by PM I have them sitting in the box of bike bits
  11. subaqua

subaqua Veteran

12. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke Über Member

I've looked into this before .... see Adding Water Bottles. Some really neat solutions. I especially like the ones that look like seatpost clamps, but last time I searched I couldn't find them in the UK.
  13. PpPete

PpPete Veteran

14. subaqua

subaqua Veteran

worked for me.
  15. Hacienda71

Hacienda71 Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire

I had no problems with the ones from Decathlon rotating although the screws were just long enough to mark the paintwork on the frame. :angry:
  16. subaqua

subaqua Veteran

I used the ones that came with the bottle cage rather than the adapter. the fixing eyelet is also quite thick on the decathlon bottle cage i used.

sometimes cheap does mean value ;)
  17. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

I bought some of those Halfords jobbies for one of my kids. Honest review: a faff to fit and came loose so easily that I took them off.

-----------------------------------
    Sent mobile phone stylee
  18. Archie_tect

Archie_tect De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold

Ask your LBS to fit 2no. 5mm bolt rivets into your frame... mine will do the pair for £5.