MTB chain cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
White lightening clean ride.
White Lightening also do a degreaser which fits onto one of those chain cleaning machines but I only use that on my 10 speed chain (Sram hollow pin- cost me over £30) the rest of my bikes get a low power hosing and a similar technique to Mickle but with chainsaw oil.

Shadowfax

Water washes more crap in than it washes out, lube attracts crap its not rocket science.

Shadowfax

And I can't think for a moment why I should ride an old clunker for the sake of some uber-rad form of inverse snobbery. Own and ride what the hell you want to your own expectations and standards and enjoy yourself.
Touchy.

Shadowfax

Just for the record-

Roadies -- Sit at home all evening polishing and mickling their chains.

Mtbers -- Sit in the pub all evening chatting with their mates.

As I have the time for neither I now have a hybrid !

Motozulu

Über Member
The correct answer that you are looking for is 'Squirt' dry lube. All my bikes are on it now, you can use it through the winter too. No more grimy grinding paste on the chain - quick hose down and the chain gleams again. in summer dry time you only need apply it every 2 or 3 rides. Really really can't speak highly enough about the stuff.

Shadowfax

Presumptuous. Obviously people who look after their bikes don't ride them?
Not at all, my husband is just like you, spends hours cleaning and ogling. His friggin race bike is hanging up in the workshop, has not been used in anger for at least 5 or 6 years. It still comes down for a service though. "For Gods sake get a grip man ! Here's a tea towell get on with some drying up."
Seeing how you lot are so good at cleaning and polishing ? One would hope you take a leading role using the same skills around the home. Fat Chance !

Give him his due though he does clock up a few miles a year.

Rant Over.

Jody

Stubborn git
Not at all, my husband is just like you, spends hours cleaning and ogling. His friggin race bike is hanging up in the workshop, Seeing how you lot are so good at cleaning and polishing ? One would hope you take a leading role using the same skills around the home. Fat Chance !.

Glad you know me so well. In reality your view is the polar opposite of the truth.

Cubist

Still wavin'
No, I'm not touchy at all, but I absolutely hate the way folk spout drivel about who should ride what, where and how, based solely on their own experience and means. I give advice where I can, but would never presume to criticise anybody based on their choice of kit. Not so many years ago on this forum there was a sort of apologists' race to the bottom if anyone ever dared to suggest that your off road experiences would be better if you got yourself a light, well equipped quality bike fit for purpose and designed to do the sort of riding you wanted to do. There was even one poster who used to insist that there was absolutely no need to get anything more than a budget hardtail, and spend the rest of your budget on road tyres lights and panniers so you could ride it to work. In today's market that means a lot of beginners will,find themselves on bikes with crap geometry, under damped forks, wrestling oversized, overweight monstrosities around difficult routes because someone told them what they should be riding based on ridiculous stereotypes.

The truth is that up to a point you get what you pay for. A bike equipped with decent components is a joy to ride. It's light, looks good and the kit does what it should do. It costs money to own or build, so why advocate neglecting it so you can sound cool?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
For the life of me I cannot understand why anybody would pay over £30 for a mtb chain.

Madness
The 10 spd Sram Hollowpin is on my 20 spd all Campagnolo 653 time trial bike ( Reynolds 653 frame set) my MTBs are all 21 speed and get hosed/lubed as normal i.e they do not see the chain cleaning/degreasing device.

Shadowfax

No, I'm not touchy at all, but I absolutely hate the way folk spout drivel about who should ride what, where and how, based solely on their own experience and means. I give advice where I can, but would never presume to criticise anybody based on their choice of kit. Not so many years ago on this forum there was a sort of apologists' race to the bottom if anyone ever dared to suggest that your off road experiences would be better if you got yourself a light, well equipped quality bike fit for purpose and designed to do the sort of riding you wanted to do. There was even one poster who used to insist that there was absolutely no need to get anything more than a budget hardtail, and spend the rest of your budget on road tyres lights and panniers so you could ride it to work. In today's market that means a lot of beginners will,find themselves on bikes with crap geometry, under damped forks, wrestling oversized, overweight monstrosities around difficult routes because someone told them what they should be riding based on ridiculous stereotypes.

The truth is that up to a point you get what you pay for. A bike equipped with decent components is a joy to ride. It's light, looks good and the kit does what it should do. It costs money to own or build, so why advocate neglecting it so you can sound cool?
Hang on who has said anything about what you ride ? You seem to have some sort of complex about it all.

Shadowfax

The 10 spd Sram Hollowpin is on my 20 spd all Campagnolo 653 time trial bike ( Reynolds 653 frame set) my MTBs are all 21 speed and get hosed/lubed as normal i.e they do not see the chain cleaning/degreasing device.
Good point if it was not for the followers of fashion we would all still be riding around on 7 speed and paying a lot less for the privilege of doing so.

Top Bottom