Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a lovely luncheon of two slices of wholemeal toast, one with the last of the home made liver pate, the other with that lovely Danish cheese, plus an apple, some watermelon and two :cuppa:

Parental has selected a lace pattern, so it has been duly scanned, edited in photoshop, and then printed out. I just need to glue it to the backing and let that dry overnight.

I have been spending the rest of the time working on a sonnet that doesn't quite want to play ball.

Useful information. I'll have to scowl at the resident moggy next time I visit their staff.

Cat allergy?

The rain finally stopped just under an hour ago having persisted it down since about 8am. With nothing better to do some major fettling was completed on two bikes finishing just as the rain did. Now I've cleared up I can't go out for a test ride on today's work due to lack of mudguards, so I'll take the second of yesterday's bikes which was worked on for a quick test once the school run traffic is gone.

Until then it's coffee and toast time.

It's still raining here.

Gwylan

Veteran
Had an awful few days looking for an expensive and sophisticated piece of kit to finish a job.
This item and I have had dealings over it's capacity to slither back and forth through the matter continuum. It was purchased to replace it's predecessor which did the same thing
Turn the place upside down.

Look everywhere

Finally sitting at my desk and wonder why my laptop screen looks odd.
It's about 40mm higher than normal. Resting on a box!

Yes! DOH!
Think I have to admit I'm passed it, whatever it was.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
May I ask more questions about lawn mowers?

I have narrowed down the choice to Husqvana. This is because one of their dealers is just up the road, and they will deliver it and service it if necessary, and they stock spare parts.

I do not like the idea of a petrol mower. Husqvana sell a push Battery mower with cutting edge of 14.8 inches. The self propelled one has a cutting edge of 16.2 inches. The width of garden means that two extra lengths are needed with the narrower one. The difference in price is £200.

My question is this - If a lawn mower is self propelled (but not variable speed) is that easier than using a push mower? The edges of the lawn have lots of curves, rather than straight.

tom73

Guru
Interesting day at work. 1st the director of Maths for the whole of academy chain. Decided to push the exam start back for all schools so we had 1hour to wait before anything could happen. Then I got asked to manage some students off site only find they'd send a senior member of teaching staff. So back I went to over see the main exam leading to me having a verbal set to with the head. Over the issue of watchers not being allowed. They are not allowed I mean he's head of centre and never read the JCQ rules. Well I have and know them inside out been doing it too long to not know the crack. I'd not mind but he never talks to you unless he want a go at you.
He even ordered £400 of gels pens for him to personally hand out to students last week for the exams. The are not allowed either luckily they got found before he did anything.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
That's generally because cats communicate by body language, and people who hate cats generally try and not look at them and keep quiet. Cats actually rather like that, because when people stare at a cat without adding any slow blinks to that, they see it as being threatening behaviour. So as a result, they'll gravitate towards the person that in their mind is being non-threatening.

Which is why cats seem to like people who hate cats. But it's all down to the different ways that cats and Humans use to communicate, as there's a lot that's "lost in translation"

Never thought of that.
We had one cat belonging to a neighbour who seemed very nervous of us and would not enter our house. She went off on holiday and we were to feed the cat. I thought it would be easier feeding him in our house. Took several days but the problem was he then preferred our house even when she came back home. She got very annoyed as if we were away he sat in her window and as soon as our van appeared he was off and sitting on our doorstep waiting. We joked that we had half a cat as he went back overnight but came to us in the morning.

tom73

Guru
May I ask more questions about lawn mowers?

I have narrowed down the choice to Husqvana. This is because one of their dealers is just up the road, and they will deliver it and service it if necessary, and they stock spare parts.

I do not like the idea of a petrol mower. Husqvana sell a push Battery mower with cutting edge of 14.8 inches. The self propelled one has a cutting edge of 16.2 inches. The width of garden means that two extra lengths are needed with the narrower one. The difference in price is £200.

My question is this - If a lawn mower is self propelled (but not variable speed) is that easier than using a push mower? The edges of the lawn have lots of curves, rather than straight.

Yes it's a lot easier they are not too fast and stop as soon as you let go of the handle. Normally it separate to the deadman's handle so you can still cut without the self propelled being on. It wont work the other way round. How manoeuvrable it is mostly depends of the design and weight of the mover. As long as the curves are not hair pin ones than it will be just find. You will mostly find its quicker to cut too and much less work noticeable on hot sunny days.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Wet morning gave way to a afternoon too bright at times for plain glasses but which was dull with sunglasses on. Did see a reel of cable being used today re the roadworks but looked pretty thin for an electric main and they have filed on the verge they left dug up. Maybe the thin cable is to pull another through with:scratch:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Grey and silver seem to be the preferred choice of many nowadays.

My Fabia was grey (not my choice, I sort of inherited the car) and it was a way to make an already bland car even more bland. I was forever losing it in car parks as it was boring and just blended into the background.

When I went shopping for it's replacement, one of my criteria was a bright colour as I absolutely did not want another grey or silver car. Life is too short to live in a grey world!

There seems to be a lot of white cars around here. I had an A60 which was white with a red strip. I vowed never to get another that colour as it had to be constantly washed. Some years later I got a big white van. Never learn.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Nothing much done today as it was overcast with spits of rain which never came to anything.
I did put some nasturtium seeds in even if a bit later than normal and then got some junk out of the car to get binned.
Checked the rear bag for the ICE trike which seems far too heavy. Horrors I found one spare tube with a presta valve but the wheels have schrader. In the worst case I would have another two anyway and the pump I carry fits.
Fell asleep after lunch which I hate as it takes ages to recover and wake up properly.

Top Bottom