My Carrera Zelos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

L14M

Über Member
Well, I suppose this thread is going to be made to show my transformation from a stock Carrera Zelos into a half decent winter trainer. Well at the moment its my all round everything magical bike :biggrin:.
So this is it when I first got it:
38567-28debe3c72691e75dcb74cdef732c5a3.jpg

In this picture I had added my oxford lightset, my top peak medium saddle bad, my drink holder and my very cheap £5 bike computer from halfords.
So, this was a good basis to start from. Its not light, its 11.1kg with all of these addons (without water bottle).

The first things I want to replace are black bar tape (When i can be bothered to fail at wrapping it :laugh:) black saddle and the fork.

So the reason this bike is quite heavy is because where most more expensive manufacturers save weight Carrera don't. For example the stem is a weighty thing at 175grams. This'll be replaced by a lighter deda zero 2 when i have more cash ( end of the month ;) ).
Another example is the wheel set. I've not weighed it but I can tell it is quite heavy. This will be replaced when I have more money but its currently at the bottom of my list.

The main thing that I want to replace is the fork. Its a heavy peice of steel. A lighter more forgiving carbon jobbie is on my list :biggrin:

So for the conclusion, the aim is to get a nice winter trainer that will be under 10kg auw!

Well for now here is a picture. Mostly stock here, the only addon being my edge 200 and other bits i've said above. Oh and a second front light ;)
38569-a4d4ff5ce77ce71ecbb747b650ea5f4b.jpg

Attachments

• wah4.jpg
    wah4.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 294
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 300

AndyRM

XOXO
Quite like the look of that. Saddle looks a bit low though? Or have you got little legs?

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
Quite like the look of that. Saddle looks a bit low though? Or have you got little legs?
Yeah I'm a short arse! Its the 51cm frame and I am a perfect fit like that. I am only 5ft 2 still growing thank god though :laugh:Could do with a 100mm stem though.
Thanks, its quite a nice bike and in this colour scheme its a lot less "toy like" than the new blue one. I would say that if it had a carbon fork, 105 shifters and gears and the other little carbon bits it'd be a perfect bike!
Liam

AndyRM

XOXO
Yeah you're probably right there. A mate of mine has a Carrera TDF which he's upgraded. Wheels made the biggest difference, as you'd expect.

I might have a suitable carbon fork knocking about. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
I'm not surprised about the wheels, though im planning on running these for a while. I mean they may be heavy but they are doing the job, are true and tbh I don't feel the need to upgrade atm!

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Surprised that your zelos weighs less than the tdf which is 11.7 kg.
Bike does looks awesome, you'll do well to get that to a sub 10kg bike tho.
Would be interested to see your progress on how you achieve this. .......

Genuine interest I might add. Look forward to checking out you're upgrades should you post on here about it again. :thumbsup:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Wheels certainly are the best upgrade for a frame, i recently changed the wheels on my virtuoso for some cheap wheels from decathlon and TBH i am thinking of putting the old ones back on as the "new" ones weigh more and i can really feel it on the hills.

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
Surprised that your zelos weighs less than the tdf which is 11.7 kg.
Bike does looks awesome, you'll do well to get that to a sub 10kg bike tho.
Would be interested to see your progress on how you achieve this. .......

Genuine interest I might add. Look forward to checking out you're upgrades should you post on here about it again. :thumbsup:
I think that fact that the TDF is 3cm larger than this one (smallest frame) plays a bit of a role. 10kg is the aim!

Wheels certainly are the best upgrade for a frame, i recently changed the wheels on my virtuoso for some cheap wheels from decathlon and TBH i am thinking of putting the old ones back on as the "new" ones weigh more and i can really feel it on the hills.
What wheeels did you get?
Liam

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think that fact that the TDF is 3cm larger than this one (smallest frame) plays a bit of a role. 10kg is the aim!

What wheeels did you get?
Liam
I got
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rear-700c-wheel-cassette-id_8005016.html
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700c-front-wheel-id_8005017.html
I goofed TBH as i just wanted some wheels for commuting but they are like a couple of bricks. 1026 front 1253 g rear according to the website .
I have some mavic cxp 22`s i took off the boardman , i might stick them on the virtuoso or go back to the stock wheels.
The boardman runs on shimano r501`s currently which you can pick up from ribble for about £70 but if i had the cash i would like some mavic askium`s which go for about £150 a set .

young Ed

Veteran
very nice bike! :biggrin: how long have you had it?
wheels are a really good upgrade i hear because you notice the effects more then even a lighter frame due to them being a spinning weight or something
what size wheels you got on there?

Yeah I'm a short arse! Its the 51cm frame and I am a perfect fit like that. I am only 5ft 2 still growing thank god though :laugh:
Liam

don't wishing to grow all too much i am about 170 something or another cm and fit my 22" (56cm frame) and that is the second biggest frame size normally available, and i am only 15 so stillllll growing :sad:
oh and size 12 feet is a slight problem, you can find a good pair of shoes or boots or whatever and say have you got these in size 12 they go and look in the stock room.....NO :angry:
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
does help in the theater or whatever though with the height!
but getting in and out of the back of any car is impossible with badly kicking and smearing mud (live in the country :biggrin:) all over the door :sad:
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
I got
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rear-700c-wheel-cassette-id_8005016.html
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700c-front-wheel-id_8005017.html
I goofed TBH as i just wanted some wheels for commuting but they are like a couple of bricks. 1026 front 1253 g rear according to the website .
I have some mavic cxp 22`s i took off the boardman , i might stick them on the virtuoso or go back to the stock wheels.
The boardman runs on shimano r501`s currently which you can pick up from ribble for about £70 but if i had the cash i would like some mavic askium`s which go for about £150 a set .
if you use those wheels any more try replacing the ball bearings with some good high quality hard ones and maybe the axle and cones with some good ones as i hear that the hub and original bearings are made of cheese on those wheels!
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
very nice bike! :biggrin: how long have you had it?
wheels are a really good upgrade i hear because you notice the effects more then even a lighter frame due to them being a spinning weight or something
what size wheels you got on there?
I'm running 700c wheels. The main reason im wanting to do the fork first is that I know that carbon provides a less harsh ride!
That makes sense but I'm wondering why it doesn't help retain speed. For example in my other hobby gliding we use water balasts to enable us to have better momentum and keep our speed up. We ditch it to make the aircraft "float" more. So i suppose its the same thing in cycling but lightweight has the benefit at lower speeds thus better ;)

I've had her since christmas, got a fair amount of miles down here and she's starting to become nicely ridden in. The cables have all stretched its all adjusted and running smooth. Have noticed though that the bolts used on it are made of cheesium. They round so eaisly! And its not like i'm using low quality tools or not fitting them in properly. All of my tools are my dads Snap on stuff and i always insert it fully and ensure i do not over tighten!

Liam[

young Ed

Veteran
I'm running 700c wheels. The main reason im wanting to do the fork first is that I know that carbon provides a less harsh ride!
That makes sense but I'm wondering why it doesn't help retain speed. For example in my other hobby gliding we use water balasts to enable us to have better momentum and keep our speed up. We ditch it to make the aircraft "float" more. So i suppose its the same thing in cycling but lightweight has the benefit at lower speeds thus better ;)

I've had her since christmas, got a fair amount of miles down here and she's starting to become nicely ridden in. The cables have all stretched its all adjusted and running smooth. Have noticed though that the bolts used on it are made of cheesium. They round so eaisly! And its not like i'm using low quality tools or not fitting them in properly. All of my tools are my dads Snap on stuff and i always insert it fully and ensure i do not over tighten!

Liam[
there must be a reason TDF riders dont especially stick heavy iron weights to there rims instead of their deep section carbon rims! although i always tell my self that my heavy steel frame does give great momentum down hill! :biggrin: and then i only get max 34 down hills :sad:

what bike did you have before the zelos then?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
there must be a reason TDF riders dont especially stick heavy iron weights to there rims instead of their deep section carbon rims! although i always tell my self that my heavy steel frame does give great momentum down hill! :biggrin: and then i only get max 34 down hills :sad:

what bike did you have before the zelos then?
Cheers Ed
Before the zelos I had a apollo phaze fully kitted out 2" tires, mudguards etc. this is a much nicer beast!

Top Bottom