My Custom Build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
Did you cut the brooks down yourself?
How are you finding the 3speed hub?

Nice looking, pity the forks arent as smooth finish as the frame.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Did you cut the brooks down yourself?
How are you finding the 3speed hub?

Nice looking, pity the forks arent as smooth finish as the frame.

It's not a Brooks - its a Dia Comp saddle, and that's how they come. A lot lighter than Brooks and I was struggling to find one of the right colour other than the rather pricey Titanium model! Not sure if they are as good quality - there's not a lot of comment on them out there online and what there is is very mixed.

The frame I chose whilst pretty was a bit of a mistake and I'll get a nice custom build in 6 months or a year or so. Aesthetically, I actually kind of like the mottled effect on the forks, but knowing it's the result of dodgy steel making it hard to do an effective powdercoat does let it down.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Just bought some Charge Slice bullhorn handlebars to replace the tiny and somewhat uncomfortable, if very pretty randonneurs.

I fear I've made a terrible mistake. They feel enormous, hell they LOOK enormous, and they pull me way further forwards than I was expecting. Well, they are a massive change from what I'm used to. I'll see how I get on!

May sell them on and switch to some chopped off old drops. We'll see.

Hicky

Guru
Just bought some Charge Slice bullhorn handlebars to replace the tiny and somewhat uncomfortable, if very pretty randonneurs.

I fear I've made a terrible mistake. They feel enormous, hell they LOOK enormous, and they pull me way further forwards than I was expecting. Well, they are a massive change from what I'm used to. I'll see how I get on!

May sell them on and switch to some chopped off old drops. We'll see.

Only pictures will be accepted as proof of the above change!

Is the frame you're using would orignally have had 27s? .....general question really as the 700's look good.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Is the frame you're using would orignally have had 27s? .....general question really as the 700's look good.

I believe so - it's likely age and the clearances suggest 27" wheels originally, which gives me plenty of clearance left for knobblies should I decide to turn it into a more cyclocross bike - although the relatively low bottom bracket wouldn't make it ideal for that!

I've decided the charge slice handlebars are just TOO large. It's ok, I only paid £20 for them on sale and I'm sure I'll either find another use for them or be able to sell them on - they have helped me establish EXACTLY what I need, and then the bike will be perfect ;)

If I can get some bullhorns, or more likely chop down some drops , that are exactly 4cm narrower and 2cm shorter, or therabouts, then the bike will be PERFECT! :smile:

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Forgot to update this. Just given the bike a thorough clean and taken some new photos.

Changes since the last set:

- Handlebars are now a chopped set of drops. Bit creaky and scratched so may change them for something dedicated at some point, but sizing wise they are spot on.
- Bar end brakes and shifters added.
- Rear cog replaced with a smaller one.
- Chain no longer slack ;)

TT0Oi.jpg

6n45vh.jpg

2ZNCgh.jpg

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Question:

Would it be inappropriate to give my bike a name?

And a French name at that?

And a French name that is 'Cunégonde'?

And if not, anyone know a good way of stencilling a word on my frame?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Question:

Would it be inappropriate to give my bike a name?

And a French name at that?

And a French name that is 'Cunégonde'?

And if not, anyone know a good way of stencilling a word on my frame?

Depends on the nature of the owner really, if you're the sort of sad git that likes to name inanimate objects then I'd suggest you need to do so :whistle:

By the way, the build looks great!

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Depends on the nature of the owner really, if you're the sort of sad git that likes to name inanimate objects then I'd suggest you need to do so :whistle:

By the way, the build looks great!

Cheeky ;) I wouldn't be the type to name his car Sandra or something, but considering the bike doesn't have a make and model name, I feel it needs one!

Top Bottom