My girlfriend's an anticyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MessenJah

Rider
By 'anticyclist' I mean she is totally against the idea of coming riding with me, or getting a bike. I searched the forum a few minutes ago and I see that some other people on here have a similar issue with their partner. We just had a bit of a heated discussion about it, various excuses were made, I tried my best to make the benefits clear, but she wasn't having any of it, so bollocks to her.

She said it's not something she enjoys (of course, catching the bus is so much more fun!), that it's too much of an expense (of course, catching the bus everywhere is cheaper! duh.), and various other excuses. I said fine, catching the bus, taxi, train, coach or plane are relatively expensive things that I don't enjoy (which is true) so I won't be doing those things with her ever again (which isn't true, but you see my point). I suppose we'll be staying in from now on then.

I don't understand it, she was fine with riding for 4 days in Amsterdam, no doubt because everyone else was doing it. She was even singing the praises to her parents, saying that it made it so easy to get around, better than waiting for a bus, quicker than walking etc. So I don't understand why she's so against doing it over here.

I'm in the same boat, Mess! ;)

It's doomed, I tell ya, doomed! :tongue:

Noodley

'twas Mrs Noodley that got me into cycling after she went to work in Holland for a few months. I decided to give it a go, and have continued. She finished work in Holland and only rarely goes out on her bike anymore.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I used to get the prefers taxi and bus treatment to walking/cycling with my last girlfriend, I think it's just a habit and comfort thing. The stranger things I couldn't figure out was cycling didn't make me a proper driver and meant I had poor directions(?).

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
MessenJah said:
I don't understand it, she was fine with riding for 4 days in Amsterdam, no doubt because everyone else was doing it. She was even singing the praises to her parents, saying that it made it so easy to get around, better than waiting for a bus, quicker than walking etc. So I don't understand why she's so against doing it over here.

Perception of traffic?
Pootling round Hamsterjam isn't quite the same as dealing with the urban sprawl here.

OP
OP
MessenJah

MessenJah

Rider
Mr Pig said:
maybe she doesn't want to be seen with you by people she knows.

Strange that, she's always moaning that I don't come out often enough with her and her friends.

Baggy said:
Perception of traffic?
Pootling round Hamsterjam isn't quite the same as dealing with the urban sprawl here.

I'm sure she would have said that though, if she thought that.

Besides, we live right near a canal, and can get to loads of places via it.

I don't even care if she was to ride regularly or not, but it would be nice to have a ride together to a local (or not-so-local) park with a picnic once in a while - that's all I want! Chilled out sunday dawdles to somewhere nice instead of sitting on a dirty, shitty, smelly bus having to listen to ghetto youts playing tinny mobile phone music. Picnics aren't really the same when you take them on the bus.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
MessenJah said:
I'm sure she would have said that though, if she thought that.
Besides, we live right near a canal, and can get to loads of places via it.
For a second then I thought you must own a narrowboat...;)

Maybe it's just one of those unquantifiable "it's just not the same when you're not on holiday" kind of things...:tongue:

buggi

Bird Saviour
MessenJah said:
... Picnics aren't really the same when you take them on the bus.

so take the car!

Chill out man! none of my partners have ever liked cycling. in fact (now don't all get offended on me here) as much as i like the company of cyclists i never really find them sexually attractive as altho they have the best asses, they are a little bit skinny up top... i like the rugby player type builds (Lance Armstrong being the exception)

it's nice to have some different interests to your partner anyway, and when you want some space from her, what better excuse than you're going out on your bike. could be a relationship maker rather than a breaker.

if it's really that important to you that your partner likes cycling, then get a new partner because you can't make someone like something just coz you do, and she will resent you trying.

or... if you really like your partner and you really want her to go with you, you could try this underhand tactic... start harping on about some chick at your local cycling club... don't go overboard, just say some new chick has taken up cycling and she's really nice... i swear she'll be out like a shot to check out her "competition" ;)

with regards to Amsterdam, chances are she liked it coz it was flat. i'm betting there's a least a little hill by you?

yenrod

I dont think id ever go out with a femme who likes cycling. I'd do it but as for going really fast and all that and the level I'm on: it'd have to be the mess-around bike that i'd ride.

Stiil, a rides a ride.

Top Bottom