My girlfriend's an anticyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

yenrod said:
I dont think id ever go out with a femme who likes cycling. I'd do it but as for going really fast and all that and the level I'm on: it'd have to be the mess-around bike that i'd ride.

Stiil, a rides a ride.

You are so gonna get your arse kicked by the next female cyclist you meet. I didn't think you were a 'high level' cyclist...

Noodley

wafflycat said:
I can't imagine being in a long term relationship with someone who doesn't enjoy cycling...

Mrs Noodley enjoys cycling....well, she enjoys it when I go out cycling ;):tongue::blush:

simoncc

Noodley said:
Mrs Noodley enjoys cycling....well, she enjoys it when I go out cycling ;):tongue::blush:

Yes. That's why I can't understand why anyone can complain about their beloved not liking cycling.

Moonlight

Don't Wiggle sell upgrade chips for girlfriends? Be careful you don't order the swim/run ones though.

There's a strip club called Wiggle near my new college, but my friend said he prefers real Wiggle because you get to ride the products for longer..

That did happen by the way, you can't make that s**t up.

simoncc

Look, you don't want a cycling girlfriend or wife just like she doesn't want a boyfriend or husband who thinks that going shopping for clothes is a decent day out.

Horses for courses.

Noodley

simoncc said:
Horses for courses.

That's what Mrs Noodley does. She has her horse. As do the Noodlettes.

They seem to think I should be interested....but I am not. I did try. But it's not a thing that interests me.

Mrs Noodley is not interested in my tales of derring-do on my bike. "Okay dear" is the standard response.

buggi! Did I mention that I cycle a lot and was a prop forward for 20 years! ;)

Don't look like LA, though! :angry:

The reason for wanting a cycling girlfriend (partner) is that cycling occupies a lot of time; it's not like going out once a week for half an hour round the block, as my girlfriend seems to think. When we met she said she enjoyed cycling; we have cycled ZERO metres together in one year! Her idea of cycling is getting on her (city) bike, cycling to the, er, city, lock it up and go shopping!

There's no chance of a cycling holiday; and it seriously restricts other holidays if you're in France, Italy, Spain etc. and want to hire a bike for a day; the girlfriend/wife will not be happy.

So, yes, compatibility IS important.

OP
OP
MessenJah

MessenJah

Rider
buggi said:
so take the car!
What, everyone owns a car now?

Chill out man! none of my partners have ever liked cycling. in fact (now don't all get offended on me here) as much as i like the company of cyclists i never really find them sexually attractive as altho they have the best asses, they are a little bit skinny up top... i like the rugby player type builds (Lance Armstrong being the exception)

it's nice to have some different interests to your partner anyway, and when you want some space from her, what better excuse than you're going out on your bike. could be a relationship maker rather than a breaker.

if it's really that important to you that your partner likes cycling, then get a new partner because you can't make someone like something just coz you do, and she will resent you trying.

I'm not trying to turn my girlfriend into a cyclist, not am I trying to turn her into my cycling partner. Like I say, it would be nice just to occasionally go for a dawdle to the park with a picnic on a sunny day. It's not like I'm asking her to don a lycra suit and do a 50 mile training ride with me. If she won't compromise and try something that she doesn't normally do, why should I do anything with her that she wants to do?

or... if you really like your partner and you really want her to go with you, you could try this underhand tactic... start harping on about some chick at your local cycling club... don't go overboard, just say some new chick has taken up cycling and she's really nice... i swear she'll be out like a shot to check out her "competition" ;)
I thought of that already - I was even thinking of turning up with a woman from time to time. Something like this: "Hi darling this is Emma, I said she could come in and have a cup of tea, 'cos she's got a puncture and has no tools to fix it, will you stick the kettle on while I sort her inner tube out?" :angry:

with regards to Amsterdam, chances are she liked it coz it was flat. i'm betting there's a least a little hill by you?

I dunno, I'm sure she would have said when we talked about it. We've rode together once in the 5 years we've been together (that was this Spring I think) and I didn't take her anywhere with a hill. I think it's more to do with the fact that she thinks cycling is this massive hobby of mine and also because none of her friends cycle. She seems the kind of person who, for most things, only seems to go out of her way to do something if her friends are doing it.

Keith Oates

Janner
MessenJah, seems to me you and the GF need to have a long and direct talk which goes something likes this "Bye"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
When me and MrsP got married 27 years ago MrsP couldn't even ride a bike:ohmy: after a little persuasion and some loud words she managed to get the hang ofit. Since then she has been out with me on the bike about 30 times, not a very good yearly average. She will come out on a warm sunny day, if we get them, for a 10 mile pootle, as long as it includes lunch at a pub and the ride is not hilly, which around Barnet is nigh on impossible. I don't mind that she rarely rides her bike as it leaves me to go out with my mates for a thrash whenever I want, decorating and other domestic chores notwithstanding.

GrahamG

Guru
Don't worry about it. She knows it makes sense and is probably just being a bit stubborn, sounds very much like my ex who refused to do anything but the odd canal pootle because she saw cycling as 'your thing'. Now when I speak to her she's extolling the virtues of cycling to work and to the station etc. and how she's really toning up :angry:
She just didn't want to be seen as doing it because I did ;)
My better half now has three bikes despite only ever riding for a couple of years when she lived in Belgium as a kid.

Kovu

Über Member
As long as she wouldn't say you couldn't cycle, or she stopped you from doing it, then I don't see the problem. If she tries to stop you from cycling though then that's an issue ...

buggi

Bird Saviour
well if you've been seeing her for 5 years is this small issue worth wrecking that for? or are you looking for a get out clause??

Top Bottom