My home town

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I was sent there once.

Heifer73

I went round the Motor Museum just after they had refurbished it and they've made a good job of it.

I went the day before it re-opened, to be told it is closed but I can still go and have a look around. I got to see some bikes so not that bad.

Heifer73

Coventry is one of "those" towns that I will always have a "never again" attitude towards.

All because I drove through it on a wet weekday winters afternoon at about 3pm in the early 1990's. I never stopped then....

Go on, tell me what I'm missing?

A city with two cathedrals, Holy Trinity church, pepping Tom and Lady Godiva, motor museum, a really good football team, Coombe Abbey, the three spires, lots of great places to ride so much you are missing, best avoid the shops.

D

Deleted member 1258

The Rose & Castle, down the road from the Ansty Hotel, is a very popular pub with Coventry folk. Some good roads for cycling around Ansty. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.

The Rose And Castle is excellent, we've been there for a meal tonight, generous portions, hot and well cooked, my Good Lady couldn't finish Her second course, I managed three courses but was suitably stuffed afterwards,:mrpig: it wasn't to heavy on the wallet either.^_^

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
From what I've seen from afar, I think the cathedral is a very pretty one, and I like that the remains of the old one were left there as a testament to what was lost.
cov_hist_old-cathedral_1933.jpg
upload_2015-7-31_21-18-37.jpeg

Levo-Lon

Guru
There discussing the cathedral on bbc news now..3rd place in awards..

i found the new cathedral intresting in the way its been built but i thought it a dark and uninviting structure..
i prefere the old damp stone smell and impossibly expensive to reproduce architecture of old.

peterborough cathedral is a beautiful as is ely etc..and southwell nr newark is a gem in a very pretty and historic little place..worth a visit if your near

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Stonework at Ely simply boggles the mind (Never been there, but I've seen quite a few pictures, just the same. I am sure, much like the Episcopal National Cathedral, in Washington District, pictures just don't do it justice.)

The Rose & Castle, down the road from the Ansty Hotel, is a very popular pub with Coventry folk. Some good roads for cycling around Ansty. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.
Is that the one on the Canal

If so then I can verify the Fayre

We moored on t'other side, crossed the bridge and had an excellent meal

Last edited:
We had a weekend there quite a few years ago, & stayed in the Leofric hotel (who was Godivas husband, I believe?)

I missed out on the Coventry Motor Museum (this was well before Richard Nobles 'Thrust' cars ended up there), but did call at Gaydon museum on the way home, & drooled over the Darien Gap Range Rover

Plus contemplated what a missed opportunity the 'Project Iceberg' engine was (curiously, a similar engine made its way into the, Solihull built, L322)

Top Bottom