My longest ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbspark

that is brill ian,
i need to lose a good 2-3 stone , i did my first 21mile ride on sunday, felt quite good after but 92 plus 52 is superman stuff you must be so fit now, do you still ride in winter,
i'm doing a charity ride in sept look at my web site below, and was wondering if i did 20 ok is that a good test for the 45 miles?
be interesting to hear from you as i would love to do a ride like that,

regards graham

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi GB,
If you can do 21 you can do 45 no problems. Just have a good pair of padded shorts, keep hydrated and take it easy during the ride. And go for it. No doubt you can do it.

I do ride all through the winter. My commute is 27 miles a day but I only recently started that since May, before that it was only 10 miles a day.

What really helped push up my mileage stamina was joining in the rides of cycling groups like the Bromley Cyclists, Lewisham Cyclists and CTC rides. Informal non racing road rides of between 40 & 60 miles most Saturdays really help.

Oh yes, cutting down on the beer and crap food really helped too.

So keep going and it will get easier.

gbspark

thanks for info ian,
i have a mtb, gt avalanche,
do you ride a road bike and is it much easier on a road bike,
i will change tyres to slick ones for the ride but at mo i am trainig on nobbly ones,
there is a local cyclng club to me and they invite anyone so i have enquired about that and will join them on a ride soon,
did your weight come off easy?
lot of questions???? lol,
gb

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Keith Oates said:
Good going, ianrauk, now you've started doing the longer trips you'll be thinking and planning the next venture before long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Keith,
I am indeed, just have to find the time...

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
gbspark said:
thanks for info ian,
i have a mtb, gt avalanche,
do you ride a road bike and is it much easier on a road bike,
i will change tyres to slick ones for the ride but at mo i am trainig on nobbly ones,
there is a local cyclng club to me and they invite anyone so i have enquired about that and will join them on a ride soon,
did your weight come off easy?
lot of questions???? lol,
gb

I don't ride a road bike.
I have a GT Legato, Which is basically a road bike but with Flat Handlebars, I use this bike for mainly exercise
I also have a Specialized Globe Comp, with fatter tyres for a bit more comfort which I use for my long rides.

Are you doing the Thames path on your ride to Windsor?
Just that on my ride we followed the Thames as much as we could, including all the way to Windsor. The path is not that great so your bike will be perfect I think.

Did the weight come off easy? Unfortunately not, it was a lot of hard work, exercise and as I sad before, cutting out the booze and crap foods.
At aged 42 I can now honestly say I am the fittest I have been for 15-20 years, and plan to keep it that way.

Here's the link for the LCC London Cycling Campaign, it's where I found the Bromley & Lewisham Cyclist ride information

http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?Pageid=31

gbspark

hi ian,
not sure of route yet, we will get info in aug,
looks like i'll stick with gt then, there a pic on web site,
like the idea of cutting out crap food but do enjoy just a few beers on weekend to relax, but could cut down, but not out totally!!!!!
lol,
i am 42 too , and am feeling a lot better since i got my bike too , and its another world with i pod on, its addictive, cant wait for next ride,
keep up good work ian ,
good luck

graham

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just checked your site.
That Bike will do just fine. Can you lock out the front suspension? That will make riding a lot easier.

Still like my beers too, just that it's not every day like it used to be.
Though when the footy season starts again.... consumptions gonna rise xx(

Good luck to you too GB.
Just keep on riding mate, as much as you can, then one day you will get on those scales and suprise yourself how much weight has gone.

hambones

Well done ianrauk - great effort. I also did my longest ever ride at the weekend. I rode 118 miles on Sunday, beating my previous best by 43 miles! :-)

hambones

I took part in the British Heart Foundation London to Cambridge ride - and after some refreshments in Cambridge rode the same way back!! Was quite something seeing so many others on the road and was impressed with the efforts of everyone taking part, there was some real suffering in the heat. (2,000 feet of climbing each way caught some by surprise too I think!)

Top Bottom