"My mum crashes every 2 weeks but I won't be a grass"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
[QUOTE 4028889, member: 9609"]By and large they drive small cars very slowly and are only usually guilty of minor damage, and any motorist who is on their game driving a normal car at normal speeds should easily be able to make allowances for them. But yes I can see your point they will be a hazard if you think you are in the LeMas in your ferrari, and god for bid if they knock off a £1500 wing mirror.[/QUOTE]
Hard to make allowances if you are in a queue of traffic and they drive into the back of you as happened to me yesterday. Wish I'd gone on my bike as I usually do.

Is she still driving?

Possibly.....

The wonderful advice from S@fespeed, the "Road Safety Organisation" used to recommend finding someone recently deceased inthe obituary column and claim they were driving your car at the time

The idea be in that the Police would not chase it due to respect for the family of the deceased so firstly you got away with the fine, and secondly your lies were unlikely to be discovered

Julia9054

Guru
[QUOTE 4028956, member: 9609"]but as I said before it is usually just minor bumps, and if they still made cars with proper bumper bars and people were not so precious about their 'pride-and-joy' then this sort of stuff shouldn't matter - however this does not address the dangers posed to us cyclists as we are a good deal more vulnerable that a chunk of metal that has been engineered to withstand impact.

And of course I also appreciate sometimes these older drives can create very serious accidents, but if overall speed limits were reduced to something more sensible like 40mph, then many of these accidents could also be avoided.[/QUOTE]
It's hardly my pride and joy - it's a ten year old 1L Renault Cleo but as I paid for it with my hard earned money and have to sell it at some point, I'd rather it was not covered in dents and scratches. Whilst it clearly wasn't a life changing head on crash, it was an unpleasant experience and added a lot of unnecessary stress to my working day not to mention time spent this weekend straightening out the bumper and removing the scratches. You may be happy to go around playing bumper cars with pensioners but I hope that when I get to the age when I am no longer safe, I am able to recognise it or that my children will tell me.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Utley's mum drove into a wall and broke her leg before they wrested the car keys from her.

If you're at a wedding and your drunk uncle is staggering towards his car I think most people would have a word, if only because your uncle could go to prison, lose his job and licence if he hurt anyone. So you might not be acting with the purest motive if your concern is with the significant repercussions rather than the welfare of others but the end result is you stopped someone who was unfit to drive. Utley reckons the attempts to force these unfit drivers to be monitored is like the Stasi. He also says it should be up to insurers, which would naturally bump premiums if insurers have to verify medical details for every driver. It's a curious argument, I'd like to see the response if a proposed clampdown on red light jumping cyclists was met with howls of outrage cos the clampdown could catch Grandad Helmut who fought on D Day.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I took the car keys off my mum (71 at the time) after a reliable friend told me that she pulled out in front of a car at a roundabout, with her grand daughter in the back, on the way home from school. I feared for both their safety and anyone unfortunate enough to get in her way. She was never an inconsiderate or fast driver but she wouldn't admit to failing eye sight or losing her memory a bit. So it had to be done. I wish someone would do the same to that old biddy in a Nissan Micra who's now pulled out of me while i've been cycling at 23mph, and on another occasion waved me on,(even though she had right of way) then drove at me as i took up her offer. Both at the same mini roundabout! She shouldn't be on the road!

Lonestar

Veteran
I took the car keys off my mum (71 at the time) after a reliable friend told me that she pulled out in front of a car at a roundabout, with her grand daughter in the back, on the way home from school. I feared for both their safety and anyone unfortunate enough to get in her way. She was never an inconsiderate or fast driver but she wouldn't admit to failing eye sight or losing her memory a bit. So it had to be done. I wish someone would do the same to that old biddy in a Nissan Micra who's now pulled out of me while i've been cycling at 23mph, and on another occasion waved me on,(even though she had right of way) then drove at me as i took up her offer. Both at the same mini roundabout! She shouldn't be on the road!

That's right though,If they particularly strike me a s a bad driver I will do my best to let them go first or avoid them...depending on how brave or p1553d off at the time I am feeling.

[QUOTE 4029135, member: 9609"]cars should be able to cope with minor bumps better than they do[/QUOTE]

They are designed to crumple and break to absorb energy.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4028774, member: 45"]
Screen-Shot-2013-07-10-at-16.11.22.png
[/QUOTE]

I see the problem.

I had the same problem with my recumbent. People look and think WTF is that as they serve into you.

Tell mum to ditch the green hair.

Tizme

Veteran
Just watched Countryfile where they had an item on painting Dartmoor ponies with luminous paint to make them stand out and cattle farmers further up country looking at copying the idea as they have up to 15 animals a week (I think I got the figure correctly) during the autumn/winter when they move off the grazing land. No suggestion that drivers should be going slow enough to see the animals! Having a stag jump out of a hedge in front of you (as I have had) is one thing - even though I still managed to avoid hitting it - but driving across open moorland at a speed where you can't stop for an animal wandering across the road is just incredible in my mind. We really do seem to have priorities wrong in this country.

Top Bottom