My new Cannondale CAAD10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I found a dealer about 25 - 30 miles away with a couple of CAAD10's in stock so I am going to cycle over there and compare it with my 2010 Secteur Elite as I am interested how much lighter it is.

OP
OP
toptom

toptom

Now with new bottle cages
image.jpg

VamP

Banned
It's impossible to state that one frame material generically weighs less than another, and as far as carbon V alu goes, my 10 weighs less than the carbons I've had, go figure.

As for comfort, correct fit far outweighs frame material :thumbsup:

I beg to differ. Manufacturers proficient with both materials are getting their top carbon frames around 300g lighter than their top alu frames. Cannondale is one such, Canyon another.

I beg to differ. Manufacturers proficient with both materials are getting their top carbon frames around 300g lighter than their top alu frames. Cannondale is one such, Canyon another.
I suppose they have to do something to try and justify the use of cf :tongue:

Seriously though, that may be the case, (I don't know the facts to agree or disagree TBH), but we're not discussing top carbon frames here.

I'm quite sure a new generation Dogma or the latest incarnation of the Supersix will indeed weigh less than a CAAD10 frame, but it will also cost a shed load more and is therefore not a comparable, all IMHO of course :thumbsup:

All I know is my CAAD10 weighs less than my old Trek Madone 5.5 and also my old Focus Cayo Pro, both of which were full cf.

VamP

Banned
I suppose they have to do something to try and justify the use of cf :tongue:

Seriously though, that may be the case, (I don't know the facts to agree or disagree TBH), but we're not discussing top carbon frames here.

I'm quite sure a new generation Dogma or the latest incarnation of the Supersix will indeed weigh less than a CAAD10 frame, but it will also cost a shed load more and is therefore not a comparable, all IMHO of course :thumbsup:

All I know is my CAAD10 weighs less than my old Trek Madone 5.5 and also my old Focus Cayo Pro, both of which were full cf.

I have a Canyon Ultimate frame @ 910g which I paid £1100 for. It has built up to 6.8kg with mostly transplanted second tier kit. You just can't get near that with ALU.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have a Canyon Ultimate frame @ 910g which I paid £1100 for. It has built up to 6.8kg with mostly transplanted second tier kit. You just can't get near that with ALU.

Do you mean in general or with the same grade finishing kit etc?

VamP

Banned
Do you mean in general or with the same grade finishing kit etc?

I mean with the same budget.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Fair point, couldn't argue for or against as I have never "researched" it. My CAAD9 w/ SRAM Red is pretty damn light though and that is with a cheap, heavy stock saddle and no weight weenie finishing kit (aluminium Zipp Service Course SL kit). Could easily shave couple of hundred grams.

VamP

Banned
You can build a light bike with any material if you take cost out of the equation. Not many of us can, sadly.

montage

God Almighty

My Alu frame is 7.2kg at 60cm
Smaller models are 7kg and below

Rose! The quoted weights for canyon Alu and Carbon are pretty similar I believe - DI2 may be a factor in this

montage

God Almighty

Did a bit more research - Rose Alu and Carbon frames are 200 grams in difference and about 300-400 quid in price difference. That makes it cost efficient if you are going extreme Weight Weenie on it. Mind you for a 7kg stiff bike I spent £1300 on last years model, which was the limit of my student budget and anytime I lose a race I can argue that I am only riding a metal bike, so I'm happy enough! Should I have double the budget and wish to build a 6kg bike, yeah I'd get the carbon frame, for sure.

Top Bottom