My son forced off road and assaulted!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry to hear about Liam, Paul hope he get's better soon. Kyuss is right this sounds like a form of assault and the Police should be taking much more interest than if he had just been forced off his bike, which is bad enough and the Police should be showing some interest in that anyway. Hope somebody took plenty of photos of any bruises incase it goes further.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the good wishes and replies everyone. The police really don't seem like they can be bothered and actually told him that there was no point pursuing it as the other guy would only counter-claim against him! It's like if they don't acknowledge a crime, it hasn't happened. Fortunately, he told them he didn't care what the other guy did and he wanted to progress it. To date though, they've yet to speak to the other guy. I called them last night but they said they couldn't discuss it with me and it had to be from Liam so he's calling them today to get an update. I am torn between leaving it for him to sort out and being the protective parent and doing something myself but he's got to stand on his own two feet one day. My dad still sorts stuff out for me though so it's clearly something that never leaves us!

yenrod

ColinJ said:
Sorry to hear that Paul but I'm glad that Liam wasn't badly hurt. What's up with those people! :ohmy:

Perhaps I'm jinxing your family... I arrange to meet you for a ride and you get knocked off your bike by a doddery old motorist, then I meet you and Liam for a ride and days later he's forced off the road and assaulted! :laugh:

Colin, that country air having too much of an effect on you :tongue:

Chill man.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
yenrod said:
Colin, that country air having too much of an effect on you :rofl:

Chill man.
Perhaps I should have used a :rofl: rather than a :rofl:? (I'm not really superstitious.) Mind you, if a third thing happens after I next meet Paul, it would start to get me a little bit worried...

yenrod

ColinJ said:
Perhaps I should have used a :rofl: rather than a :rofl:? (I'm not really superstitious.) Mind you, if a third thing happens after I next meet Paul, it would start to get me a little bit worried...

Sit down on floor Colin legs crossed finger and thumbs together & say this Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Repeat as neccessary till totaly zenned out !!!!!

:rofl:

:tongue:

Crankarm

Guru
PaulB said:
Thanks for all the good wishes and replies everyone. The police really don't seem like they can be bothered and actually told him that there was no point pursuing it as the other guy would only counter-claim against him! It's like if they don't acknowledge a crime, it hasn't happened. Fortunately, he told them he didn't care what the other guy did and he wanted to progress it. To date though, they've yet to speak to the other guy. I called them last night but they said they couldn't discuss it with me and it had to be from Liam so he's calling them today to get an update. I am torn between leaving it for him to sort out and being the protective parent and doing something myself but he's got to stand on his own two feet one day. My dad still sorts stuff out for me though so it's clearly something that never leaves us!

How is your son today? Has he been out on his bike? He must be over 18 as the plods won't deal with you. I would tell your son to make an official complaint against the other person re their driving forcing him off the road and the assault which will mean him insisting that the police take a full statement. He should also make them fully aware of his injuries physical and he is now scared to ride his bike through the area less this thug does something again. If the thug counter claims so be it, they always do. What's he going to say anyway? The police will be able to tie up the two accounts and it will quickly become evident who is telling the truth which I suspect will be your son. Sounds like the police can't be 4rsed and are fobbing your son off. He should ask to speak to an inspector if he doesn't believe the rank and file plods are taking the incident seriously. If this doesn't happen then make a formal complaint. The police have a duty to investigate properly and fobbing your son off is neglecting their duties. The thug may have carried out previous equally dangerous driving manoevures or have a history of violent assault. If the plods can't see an easy job they don't want to know. This thug might do it again and if the plods haven't investigated this incident properly taking any necessary action against this thug, next time he might kill some unfortunate soul through his driving or causing them serious injury in assaulting them. If it were my son I would make sure plod was doing eveything they should if I thought they weren't I would complain to the Chief Constable or if they were equally inept the IPCC and get the local papers invloved who will jump at the chance of doing a piece about a cyclist who has had insult added to injury by the plods who are not taking seriously him being knocked down and assaulted . Just my 2ps worth.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Crankarm said:
How is your son today? Has he been out on his bike? He must be over 18 as the plods won't deal with you. I would tell your son to make an official complaint against the other person re their driving forcing him off the road and the assault which will mean him insisting that the police take a full statement. He should also make them fully aware of his injuries physical and he is now scared to ride his bike through the area less this thug does something again. If the thug counter claims so be it, they always do. What's he going to say anyway? The police will be able to tie up the two accounts and it will quickly become evident who is telling the truth which I suspect will be your son. Sounds like the police can't be 4rsed and are fobbing your son off. He should ask to speak to an inspector if he doesn't believe the rank and file plods are taking the incident seriously. If this doesn't happen then make a formal complaint. The police have a duty to investigate properly and fobbing your son off is neglecting their duties. The thug may have carried out previous equally dangerous driving manoevures or have a history of violent assault. If the plods can't see an easy job they don't want to know. This thug might do it again and if the plods haven't investigated this incident properly taking any necessary action against this thug, next time he might kill some unfortunate soul through his driving or causing them serious injury in assaulting them. If it were my son I would make sure plod was doing eveything they should if I thought they weren't I would complain to the Chief Constable or if they were equally inept the IPCC and get the local papers invloved who will jump at the chance of doing a piece about a cyclist who has had insult added to injury by the plods who are not taking seriously him being knocked down and assaulted . Just my 2ps worth.

A very good 2p-nyworth as well. Thanks for that Cranky mate.

Sorry to hear about yer lad Paul at least nowt's broken BUT make him get onto the police as if he gives up that's one off their caseload and also it's criminal assault he wants to get a crime number if he can. Crankarm is totally bang on

on another note i'm still off the bike ;) backto fracture clinic wednesday

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
PaulB said:
That's why each and every one of you should have CTC or LCC membership cards.

Well, well, there are one or two extreme comments in this thread. As a retired-Plod let me give you my advice please.

Yes, your son should make a proper report of an offence when a lengthy form and probably a statement will be taken and he will be given a crime number. Once the offense is in the system, wheels will roll and an officer will be allocated to deal with it. He should then keep your son informed of the progress of any investigation.

A few questions. Any witnesses? If not a prosection will be more unlikely as they like a 99% certainty of a conviction. Injuries? Are they visible? If so a SOCO (Scenes of Crime Officer) should photograph them. Any hospital visit? Details of examination with name of doctor.

Go through with this and ignore slanted, one-sided advise from others. The Police are more than happy to arrest offenders provided that there is a reasonable chance of a successful prosecution and there is sufficient evidence.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Welcome Paul N, always good to have plod on the forum. We've also a few serving poleese knocking around (Vikeonabike, Cubist to name two).

Unfortunately you've described what should happen. There are far too many instances on this forum where that hasn't happened. In general, the police seem reluctant to escalate car-on-bike incidents to any form of legal action (even a warning) even when there's good evidence available from witnesses or video. Why this is I don't know - paperwork, too expensive, other priorities or laziness?.

I understand that in many ways this isn't the police's fault. For example, there's an industry based on protecting poor drivers - google 'careless driving' and see the results.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The reason why Police are reluctant to prosecute in car vs. bike incidents is because of all the bloody idiot cyclists who jump lights, ride one way streets the wrong way, annoy drivers and generally give cyclists a bad name. The consequence is that Police will always assume the cyclist to be equally at fault, unless there are witnesses.

Bollo,

The lack of firm evidence is the main cause as rarely are these incidents witnessed by an independant party. I've been out for some eight years now and understand that (in this county) every allegation is followed up. Once that Crime Sheet is written up, getting a 'detected' is bloody important. The victim needs to be firm when attending the Police Station. He must be sure of his facts AND be willing to support a prosecution. Few things irritate a copper more than for the aggrieved to back down and say "I don't want the hassle of appearing in court. Can't someone just go round and warn him?". No, you make the allegation, we investigate and report/charge the offender and you both have your day in court so as to let them decide.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Paul Narramore said:
Bollo,

The lack of firm evidence is the main cause as rarely are these incidents witnessed by an independant party. I've been out for some eight years now and understand that (in this county) every allegation is followed up. Once that Crime Sheet is written up, getting a 'detected' is bloody important. The victim needs to be firm when attending the Police Station. He must be sure of his facts AND be willing to support a prosecution. Few things irritate a copper more than for the aggrieved to back down and say "I don't want the hassle of appearing in court. Can't someone just go round and warn him?". No, you make the allegation, we investigate and report/charge the offender and you both have your day in court so as to let them decide.

You should know that the police decide whether to follow up a prosecution for minor offences (and you have to be pretty badly hurt for an incident not to be considered 'minor'). Too often they do not for motoring offences, despite good evidence and the willingness of the victim. A case can be closed more effectively by a simple decision not not prosecute than by forcing it through court. Although by definition anecdotal, there are plenty of stories on the forum that back this up. Here's mine. Can you guess what the driver was charged with? Look at some of magnatom's or BentMikey's vids for some more examples.

That's not necessarily the case here - I agree its going to be difficult to find and prosecute this tw@t based on independent evidence. And sometimes the police do take action, but there appears to be a lottery as to how cases are treated. It'd be naive to claim that the police don't have priorities. These priorities will ultimately reflect the pressures placed on them by politicians and the press and sure as eggs, road safety (or the tax on otherwise law-abiding motorists) just isn't one of them.

RR - I can see what you're getting at, but it really isn't the police's place to make judgements based on a whole class of road user. I'm sure there are many that are unsympathetic, but that says more about their personal prejudices than it does about the police service as a whole.

Top Bottom