My son forced off road and assaulted!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I just rang my eldest son, Liam to check on times for the Manny 100 tomorrow and he says he can't do it as he's still bruised and sore from an incident on Wednesday. Apparently, he was riding down a steep hill not too far from here (the road out of Rimington for those who know the Lancs/Yorks border near Gisburn) and a car coming at speed on the wrong side of the road uphill forced him to swerve out of the way and he fell into the trees and bushes that line that road. The driver then slammed on, got out and while he was on the ground booted him in the leg saying it was his fault! Now I wasn't there so can't say for certain but I believe Liam's version of events. Liam stood up to the guy but couldn't get friction in his cleated shoes on the wet road and the guy pushed him down again! He got his registration details and called the cops but they say they haven't been able to speak to him yet. There isn't a mark on his bike but his wrist is sore from where he was pushed over and his leg is still bruised! Not good, is it?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
there are some complete and utter peanuts out there. What is the point of stopping and having a go if he had already bullied a cyclist off the road in the first instance?

Crankarm

Guru
Sorry to read this PB. What is it with people! Your son didn't get any pics of this a-hole and his car? In this instance it is really difficult to resist saying he's probably a local chav, find out where he lives and sort out a good kicking for him because you just know the police/cps response will be totally inadequate at dealing with this thug.

Could it be this thug deliberately trying to knock cyclists off who the police already know about but seem powerless to apprehend?

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/385657/killer-driver-on-the-loose-in-cheshire.html

At least your son is not seriously hurt although it could obviously have been a lot worse. The moral of the story is always carry a camera at the ready if not a helmet cam.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My son was threatened with a battering by a cyclist this evening. My son was pushing his bike home and was crossing the entrance to a nearby street when a chap in his forties called him a prick for getting in his way. Son asked him to chill and the chap squared up to him and probably would have hit him had some people not appeared on the scene.

Son more angry than frightened.

Slightly OT, but I saw a sticker in the back of a car....

CHILL OUT - stop driving like a D*ck!

Somewhat appropriate.

It does annoy me that these things happen, and I do not think it has anything to do with driving!

These are people who will respond to any percieved sleight or insult with violence. THey are thugs pure and simple.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not good....cleats are a nightmare, hence why I don't bother when on the road bikes - and they are worth a few bob/difficult to replace.

He got the number......bonus.......

kyuss

Veteran
PaulB said:
He got his registration details and called the cops but they say they haven't been able to speak to him yet.

This is just shocking. Let's forget the accident and who did/didn't cause it for a bit, if someone got out of their car and booted someone in the street, you can be certain the cops wouldn't have just spoken to him by now but most likely arrested him for assault. It seems in this country as soon as a bike is involved in any manner it's just shrugged off. I f***ing hate the police sometimes.

kyuss said:
It seems in this country as soon as a bike is involved in any manner it's just shrugged off.
Not true. I have had a result after reporting an assault on me to the police, me on a bike and my assailant in a car. It took about six weeks after my report before I heard from the police again, but I got a result. Maybe it depends upon which officer takes up the case. :wacko:

I think it's important to report the incident as soon as possible, even from the actual scene of the crime (possibly too late for your son now, I appreciate!). That's what I did: as soon as I'd gained command of myself and stopped swearing, I whipped out the phone. All cyclists should carry a phone, and all phones should have the non-emergency number of the local police force programmed into them.

Best of luck, anyway. May justice be served this time!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
kyuss said:
This is just shocking. Let's forget the accident and who did/didn't cause it for a bit, if someone got out of their car and booted someone in the street, you can be certain the cops wouldn't have just spoken to him by now but most likely arrested him for assault. It seems in this country as soon as a bike is involved in any manner it's just shrugged off. I f***ing hate the police sometimes.

Hate them as much as you like but please use facts as your foundation for your hatred and not supposition.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sorry to hear that Paul but I'm glad that Liam wasn't badly hurt. What's up with those people! :ohmy:

Perhaps I'm jinxing your family... I arrange to meet you for a ride and you get knocked off your bike by a doddery old motorist, then I meet you and Liam for a ride and days later he's forced off the road and assaulted! :biggrin:

yenrod

This is a total and utter disgrace this - this is utterly reprehencable - this is THE lowest of the low. An innocent lad is not only forced off the road but to be kicked down again..this is THE worst ever story ive ever heard in my entire life..about cycling.

PAULB - I wish I could help in some way. Hope yuh lad is ok - send him our wishes here !!!

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
Perhaps I'm jinxing your family... I arrange to meet you for a ride and you get knocked off your bike by a doddery old motorist, then I meet you and Liam for a ride and days later he's forced off the road and assaulted! :ohmy:

Don't be daft mate. I've ridden loads of times with you previously and come to no harm. It's just co-inkindinky. He says he's up to shifting gears today (but it hurt him riding back home on Wednesday) so we'll go out for a spin round here today. And you never know, we might bump in to aggresive Albert again!

Top Bottom