Mystery Peugeot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Warny

Über Member
Hi all,

I've not owned a Peugeot racer before and one recently caught my eye, so I thought it was worth a punt! Apart from the disastrous yellow paint it's in quite good nick really.

I was initially thinking it might be a Competition from around 1980, but the components don't quite add up. Perhaps a PA10 as has Bocoma lugs (instead of Nervex ones). No frame stickers although the frame is nice and light. Simplex gears and deraileurs, Weinmann brakes with Mafac leavers, Campag fork dropouts but no markings on the rear ones. Wheels are Super Champion Record which require tubular tyres (which I know nothing about!).

Hopefully some Pug fans on the site, any information much appreciated:-)

862.JPG

863.JPG

864.JPG

865.JPG

866.JPG

867.JPG

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can't help I'm afraid but looks quite nice. Tubs might be a later addition as seems at variance with the rest of the kit.
What do you intend doing with it?

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Thanks guys, that's helpful. The PA10 seems to be the only one I've come across from the brochures with a Simplex SX810 rear deraileur, so mid-late seventies I guess.
Think after the paint removal I might try and get hold of some cheaper tyres and see how it rides. The rims are 22mm wide, with tubular tyres is there a range of sizes I can get away with (would 700x25c be ok?).

The stamoed dropouts look a bit plain compared to be best pugs. Looks like my late 1970s sports bike, nice enough to ride but nothing special.

If you want to give tubular tyres a go you can pick up a pair from decathlon for 30 quid, add in a tube of glue, a wipe down of the rims with white spirit and a couple of instructional videos and you are good to go:okay:

Except... as much as I love tubs, and I love tubs :wub:, they can be a pain to fit, (some need stretching on a rim in advance), gluing takes time and is messy, if you use tape it's less messy and quicker (but the rim needs to be clean and with old glue encrusted rims that can be very messy and time consuming) and if you puncture you will need either a glued replacement tube to hand or some of that sealant in a can that usually ends up as sealant all over you and over the road.

If you decide that it is all too much of a faff, you could probably get 40-60 for the wheels assuming they are not campagnolo hubs, and a bit more if they are.

Either way good luck getting the bike up and running and enjoy the ride

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Thanks for the tips, that's great. I think I will try and get some tyres and Decathlon have some decent prices indeed. Also seen some Continental and Tufo ones online for just over £20 each. May well get someone to fit them for me, we'll see. The Super Champion rims have Atom hubs and Simplex QR skewers.

Frame is looking a little bit less yellow now!

868.JPG

869.JPG

870.JPG

Top Bottom