Mystery Peugeot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Tub tape is much easier than glue. I find glue a pain and only use it on track wheels.

As the forks are silver I wonder if they're a replacement? That might explain the yellow paint.

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Thanks, yes looking online tape sounds the only way to go really! Just need to get the old glue off first.

Forks I think are a later addition, they 'sound' quite light and it appears Peugeot didn't have the Campag ends which I seem to have. Could leave them grey or try and match the blue (as need to a bit of painting on the main frame anyway). Has anyone tried the Humbrol pots that I remember using when making the airfix models as a nipper? :-)

Thanks, yes looking online tape sounds the only way to go really! Just need to get the old glue off first.

Forks I think are a later addition, they 'sound' quite light and it appears Peugeot didn't have the Campag ends which I seem to have. Could leave them grey or try and match the blue (as need to a bit of painting on the main frame anyway). Has anyone tried the Humbrol pots that I remember using when making the airfix models as a nipper? :-)
You may be able to find a car aerosol can in Halfords which might be a close match for your colour .

carpenter

Über Member
A bit of a drive, but I would recommend "Nick's automotive paint supplies - Ipswich" - I have recently taken in a set of forks and they made up a spray can to match the colour (did a very good matching job on a difficult colour), about £12.00 for the rattle can.
(see my MBK thread for photo).
There could well be a similar business in Cambridge?

PHL67

Veteran
Thanks for the tips, that's great. I think I will try and get some tyres and Decathlon have some decent prices indeed. Also seen some Continental and Tufo ones online for just over £20 each. May well get someone to fit them for me, we'll see. The Super Champion rims have Atom hubs and Simplex QR skewers.

Frame is looking a little bit less yellow now!

View attachment 557670

View attachment 557671

View attachment 557672
Pump up the new tubs for at least 24hrs to give them a bit of stretch. I usually hang mine up in my workshop. Can still be a tight fit. I use rim tape as not as messy as glue. Use a wire wheel on your rim to clean of any old tape or glue. Before you put them on I would clean all the wheels and hubs up first then do tyres.

PHL67

Veteran
Thanks for the tips, that's great. I think I will try and get some tyres and Decathlon have some decent prices indeed. Also seen some Continental and Tufo ones online for just over £20 each. May well get someone to fit them for me, we'll see. The Super Champion rims have Atom hubs and Simplex QR skewers.

Frame is looking a little bit less yellow now!

View attachment 557670

View attachment 557671

View attachment 557672
I think you would have had chrome bottoms on your forks with painted top. Top face of crown would have been chromed / polished.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
+1 to @PHL67 's suggestions. I use tape on road/TT wheels, glue on track wheels as tape's not permitted.

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Thanks guys, I got the Vittoria Rally tyres and although was initially tricky to get them on the rims, this helped stretch them for when I came to fit the following day. Tape was pretty straightforward:-)

896.JPG

897.JPG

goldcoastjon

Hi all,

I've not owned a Peugeot racer before and one recently caught my eye, so I thought it was worth a punt! Apart from the disastrous yellow paint it's in quite good nick really.

I was initially thinking it might be a Competition from around 1980, but the components don't quite add up. Perhaps a PA10 as has Bocoma lugs (instead of Nervex ones). No frame stickers although the frame is nice and light. Simplex gears and deraileurs, Weinmann brakes with Mafac leavers, Campag fork dropouts but no markings on the rear ones. Wheels are Super Champion Record which require tubular tyres (which I know nothing about!).

Hopefully some Pug fans on the site, any information much appreciated:-)

View attachment 557448

View attachment 557449

View attachment 557450

View attachment 557451

View attachment 557452

View attachment 557453

This should be a nice ride. Take it for a spin with borrowed wheels before you do any work on it, just to see if it fits and if you like the feel. All of the Peugeots seem to share the "racing heritage" handling of the best Peugeots, even if they have Carbolite plain-gauge seamed tubes -- which make for a very decent bike, BTW.

Top Bottom