n+1..... Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lesley_x

Über Member
I have two bikes, one for road use and one for off road use.

I can't justify anymore though I would like to, and my husband would not be happy. I don't know what it is, bikes are just so pretty!
I would like to sell the aluminium road bike and get some carbon but my secteur has been very good to me and I would miss it if it was gone :wub:

My dream is a Wilier tbh. If I ever have spare cash, I would love one.

Sometimes life just has to be about fun and what you want rather than what you need.

outlash

also available in orange
I'm kind of in the same boat TBH. I've been eyeing up a bike for winter/light touring duties and I'm struggling to justify it when I'm happy with what I have and I can adapt it if I want to. I guess if I had the money to just waste on a new bike I wouldn't be so hesitant but I'm not in that position so...

Tony.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Questioning N+1?

I'm quite honestly speechless.
Really? Smeggers has form for challenging received wisdom and getting others to think a bit.

The second best reason for N+1 is so that you've got a bike to ride when one goes wrong. The best is that no bike can do everything. We have 7 in the household (it was 8, but my second folder was pinched). Each had a raison d'etre, and with one exception each doubles as a backup in case one of the others isn't available. But then I use a bike as a utility tool as well as a toy.

jay clock

Massive member
Winter road bike with tougher wheels/tyres and mudguards
Summer bike with Di2 and posh wheels
Touring bike - only for touring
MTB - only for off road
Brompton (new) - trips in London and locally to shops
Dahon folder - because Mrs JC said to keep it in case we go away for a weekend and need two folders

I was right with you until you said stunt bike, now you're just making it up!!'
Until you've owned a stunt bike you haven't lived. They're awesome, basically they allow you to jump ramps made of twelve single stacked house bricks and a bit of ply or a bit of ply and your younger brother and pull off amazing jumps that will stupify and thrill every other twelve year old on your street.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
As said By @srw above, if you use the bike as your main form of transport, reason enough for having two (at least :whistle:) is in case one is temporarily unusable.

San Marco

Could a cyclo cross bike be the one bike that can do everything that's been said in here? (Apart from being a folder!)
Can it be just ' N ' ??

vickster

Legendary Member
Could a cyclo cross bike be the one bike that can do everything that's been said in here? (Apart from being a folder!)
Can it be just ' N ' ??
One of these for you? ;)

cavaria-cross-bicycle.jpg

Big Nick

- 20 year old mtb for commuting a short distance to work
- newish hybrid for leisurely rides with the missus
- new road bike for seeing how far and fast I can go!!

I don't think I'll buy any more bikes but will no doubt spend a bit upgrading parts on the road bike over time!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Can I just say that I don't want a Bianchi - any Bianchi. I think the colour is horrible and they always look very badly set up.

I particular I don't want that bike. A cyclo-cross bike is just wrong. If you want to go on the road, use a road bike (racer or tourer or hybrid). If you want to go off-road, use an off-roader. If you want to do a bit of both, use a sturdy hybrid or tourer with flat bars. Or have two bikes.

Top Bottom