n+1..... Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I did but as I said, I enjoy the shopping...I did the build, I just didn't do the build

Me build a bike, yeah right :rofl:

BSRU

A Human Being
Could a cyclo cross bike be the one bike that can do everything that's been said in here? (Apart from being a folder!)
Can it be just ' N ' ??
If I were only allowed to have one bike it would be the CX bike as it is quick and very versatile.

2pies

Veteran
Could a cyclo cross bike be the one bike that can do everything that's been said in here? (Apart from being a folder!)
Can it be just ' N ' ??

Pretty much, yeah. That's why I bought one as my first bike. It was great for fast rides, commuting and rides in the park with the family. But then I joined a club and wanted to faster, so bought a Road Bike. Now, I want to do more off-road stuff and am buying a MTB. However, I've sold the CX bike as I simply don't have space and can't really justify 3 bikes. The MTB will do off-road, the road bike will do club runs and both bikes will share the commute to work. That suits my needs perfectly, I wouldn't want to have a bike that was only ridden once or twice a month.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, I went from an alu/carbon giant avail road bike with tiagra to a genesis equilibrium steel/carbon road bike for a several reasons
A) steel less jarring for my creaking joints on rubbish roads
B) wanted sram shifters rather than shimano
C) the genesis is a very pretty colour and from a British company, although the parts are from all over the world and the frame was likely made in the Far East
D) I get bored quickly, I'd had the avail for over a year I guess and I like new shiny things
E) because I could...

The genesis is probably lighter, build from parts rather than stock, it has better wheels, it takes proper mudguards, however no mount points for a fixed frame

The cost to change was around £1000. The genesis will do the same as the giant. I also have a carbon roadbike which was actually my first roadbike, just lovely to ride on sunny days when I don't need to carry much

Longshot

OK, I don't get the concept of trying to rationalise 'N+1'. Unless you're a Russian Oligarch, there has to always be a better bike out there, somewhere.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
I bought an Orbea Aqua Tiagra a couple of years ago, didn't want to spend a fortune in case I didn't get the cycling bug, so went for what I thought was a decent compromise. Don't regret it at all, and after 2 years and several thousand kms on it, I've invested in a full carbon jobbie. I'm keeping the Orbea as well, it doesn't owe me anything, Ive got more than £900's worth of fun out of it by far, and may continue to use it if I feel the need to keep the new Focus in pristine condition and Im going out in the rain. Did the ride to work thing as well a year ago, got a 29er hardtail for the forest tracks. That deal's finished now so might well go out and see if I can get a CX bike on the same scheme. Did the road bikes on interest free credit, and the c2w scheme works out very reasonable cost wise. But - at the end of the day the justification is more "why not - life's too short to be umming and ahhing should I/shouldn't I". This is the cheapest hobby Ive had in a long time - motor boat, light aircraft, fast cars, motorbikes...

That just leaves for N+1:
Recumbent - Just cos they're different.

.. and don't forget the different types of recumbent:

Long wheelbase
Short wheelbase
Medium wheelbase
Delta trike
Tadpole trike
Lowracer
Medium racer
Hiracer

. and combinations of above

My Problem is Mrs Kes and the Kids are on the same page.... need a bigger shed (and a better paid job).

The wife and kids need better paid jobs!

Made me smile

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Buying a different type of bike for a function - totally get it (Ive got a mountain bike too).

But has anybody upgraded their same type of ride simply to get a better one and if so define 'better'?
I have I went from a Specialized Roubaix Shimano 105 to Cannondale Supersix Evo Red. I preferred the colour scheme so it was a lot better.

It does ride different, and has a different geometry and I prefer SRAM. I had full VFM out of the Specialized 15k+ miles on it for £1500 in 2011. As I have said before I have a Boardman CX that I bought as winter bike in 2012 as I bought in to the "you can't ride your best bike through the winter" and all the N+1 hype. I rode the Boardman for 3 months that winter and I really didn't enjoy it, swapping over in March and the Specialized felt like a much better bike to ride. I was dreading the new Cannondale I bought Jan would not feel as good as the Specialized, luckily it feels better. So I sold the Roubaix. As I said I have one bike it does everything I want from cycling. Commuting, social and rides with kids on trails etc.

Top Bottom