NAS Query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone using a mass storage device with network capability out there?
Any recommendations and experiences on 'the best' or 'the most versatile'? Or what to avoid...:biggrin:
My work is upgrading (;):biggrin:) and I would like to be well informed by our resident wizards. Thank you. :biggrin:

ACS

Legendary Member
What are you going you going to use the NAS for? Backup, file services?

ACS

Legendary Member
The next question is does your network infrastructure have the data capacity to take the additional data so centralisation does not degrade your current network services?

Davidc

Guru
Yes. An HP docking station with a drive built into it.

It works, holds a backup of all my data - updates very quickly if the laptop's docked, very slowly if it's connecting by wireless.

The docking station has a USB network printer port which works, but which I don't use at present, and a USB network drive port for an additional hard drive. Haven't used that apart from testing it when new.

I use a program called mirrorfolder to do the backup.

The drive works much like a server but be aware that security is poor compared to a proper server. If you are concerned there are open source encryption programs available, truecrypt for example.

ACS

Legendary Member
The reason for the question about network capacity relates to some projected work I carried out using NAS for mirror backup and file storage and we discovered that the additional data moving around our 1gb infrastructure had an adverse impact on network viability.

We used 2x Maxtor One touch III 500 gb (configured as Raid 5) on static IP’s, 1 for mirroring and the 2nd for nightly backups. The first problem we encountered was the HDD’s kept failing. IIRC we sent them both back more than once for replacement. Secondly at periods of intense network activity the unit became ‘flakey’. So we elected to re-role an out of warranty server with high capacity disks and use an automatic tape library for backup up and storing critical data. This option has proved a cost effective solution.

ACS

Legendary Member
marinyork said:
Well they were Maxtors... :smile:

I could write a thesis on Buffalo units ;)

What's the scale of this 'teef. Home network type size, small business with a few computers and a router, larger business with servers etc...?

Crackle said:
What's the scale of this 'teef. Home network type size, small business with a few computers and a router, larger business with servers etc...?

Strictly small business Crackle - 3 user max at the moment with only two of us trying to bugger it up using to any great extent...well, that's the theory. I will probably be getting a Apple Mac (;)) to add into the mix of things...

Aperitif said:
Strictly small business Crackle - 3 user max at the moment with only two of us trying to bugger it up using to any great extent...well, that's the theory. I will probably be getting a Apple Mac (:evil:) to add into the mix of things...

That Drobo looks good: How much though Carwash?

Similiar but more small networky:-

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/products/NetworkStorage

Check out the one 2nd from bottom.

Netgear do one too:-

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_desktop_storage.php?src=home

Also, if you change your router (assuming that's what you use), to one with a USB port, like this, you can plug in any old USB mass storage device and it will be visible to all networked computers.

All of the above will let you access data from any computer, some will mirror your data, so you have a backup on a 2nd disc and I think all will allow ftp access from the outside world, so you can grab files at work from home.

I don't know if that's clear and exactly what you want but it's a starter for 10.

Bman

Guru
Crackle said:
<snip>
Also, if you change your router (assuming that's what you use), to one with a USB port, like this, you can plug in any old USB mass storage device and it will be visible to all networked computers.
<snip>

Now that is a neat feature. I may buy one just for that functionality! :evil:

Top Bottom